Saturday, January 31, 2015

Cold Sheep vs Conscious Acquiring

That's one COLD SHEEP up there!
Brrrrr!
I decided late last year that I was going to go
Cold Sheep
once the new year started.

Similar to Cold Turkey.

No wool.
No.  New.  Yarn.

For a while.

I told myself no new yarn until DFW Fiberfest this spring.
And then, I could acquire new yarn in person there.

This went out the window 
in the first 72 hours of the new year.

Kind of.

I was short on yarn for this.
So I had to order more to finish it.

That really doesn't count.
Right? 

Anyhoo....I have so many beautiful yarns,
paired with beautiful patterns,
and it's high time I started to knit with what I HAVE!
Seriously.
It gets out of hand so easily!
Do you agree?

And I have also decided to not add to the stitching stash
for a while too!

And here we are, January 31,
and I haven't purchased any new yarn or stitching stash
other than the skeins I needed to finish that shawl!

I'm pretty darn proud of myself.
So while I can't really say I've gone Cold Sheep,
you can say I've adopted the mindset of
Conscious Acquiring!

No more haphazardly buying yarn!
It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be.
It's actually FUN!  Going thru the Ravelry queue and casting on with what I have!
What a concept!
Working with what I have!

Have you made any goals in the new year regarding
your creative stash?

I'm going to keep myself on the straight and narrow!
I'll be sure and let you know how I do.
And if I stumble....if I fall....
I'll be sure and let you know!  ;o)

*Peace!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

So when exactly is the fiber festival? Good for you on your going cold sheep. The shawl yarn purchase doesn't count in my book. I'm trying to be better about purchases. But it's hard! I need to get all my info and stash onto ravelry. I'm so bad about that!

Robin said...

I am trying to be more aware of acquiring new stitching stash. With the sneak peeks starting to appear, I have about a month to decide if it is really needed. Best of luck to you as you move through the year, Kim!

Robin in Virginia

Laurie in Iowa said...

I don't think the needed yarn for your shawl in progress should count. I'm making more of an effort to control my spending on quilt fabrics and stitching stash. Like you, I have so much fabric and stitching stash that I should be content to use what I've already acquired. I started in Dec 2014 with my decision to get some of my lovely stitching WIPs completed before starting something new. It's hard... but worth it.

Loraine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loraine said...

Oh sorry, I meant I love it!! Fat thumbs and iPhones sometimes don't mix!

Lori said...

I'm right there with you, Kim! Cold sheep hasn't been bad at all...its kind of freeing in a way.

Debbie said...

I am with you on this. I am not buying anything until my vacation in March when I go to the quilt show. I've gotten out old partially done projects to finish. I like them all and don't know why I didn't finish them. Most were started 15 - 20 years ago and it has been a challenge in some cases. But most were put away with their fabric so all I have to do is get going. The funny thing is that the lone star I am doing first uses this years Pantone color of the year - Marsala.

Joanie said...

I did the stitch from stash challenge last year and I loved it enough to continue it this year. And I also decided that I was going to finish a few lovely WIPs before I began another sampler. So far, so good!
Keep it up, you won't regret it!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Cold Sheep--great concept. Yes, my Mother told me I have enough stash to last two life times. I am trying to be more aware of fabrics, wools and stitch projects I have on hand before adding more. Remind me I said that after the February needlework market. In addition to working from stash am also going to add completing WIP's, UFO's and PhD's into my goals

Jackie said...

You're doing great Kim! I'd love to hear about your stash plans - what you're falling in love with all over again, etc. I've been pretty good about aggressively culling what I don't love anymore from my yarn stash but not so much the stitching and quilting stuff. Anyways....that's ANOTHER subject!