Saturday, October 20, 2012

Surrounded By The Dishes


Finally!  I'm surrounded by pressed Broken Dishes blocks!  Whew!  

 

I was asked recently how I approach scrap quilts if I don't use a design wall.  Well. Truth be told I don't stress too much about placement.  So long as two exact blocks aren't touching, I'm pretty okay with it!  This isn't supposed to be stressful!  I doubt the quiltmakers of earlier times planned and plotted and freaked out about scrap quilt block placement!  


So here's how I will handle these.  First they will all get dumped in a laundry basket and mixed up.  I'll sit down and just randomly pull and sew blocks together, making sure I don't sew identical blocks together. 

Another thing I don't do is work in rows.  Hardly ever will you find me sewing long rows together.  Instead I like to work in quadrants.  Much easier to handle for me! 

So there you have it!  I'll be pulling blocks out of the laundry basket this upcoming week from time to time.  I hope this one goes together relatively quickly!  Sure seems like the quilt project that never ends!

Happy Saturday!

*Peace!

9 comments:

Laurie in Iowa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie in Iowa said...

Love all your pressed blocks and I like the system you use for piecing the quilt top together.

Jan said...

Couldn't agree more! It doesn't look random if it isn't randomly placed. I also piece in quadrants, or other suitable sections - so much easier!

Margaret said...

Love hearing about your working methods for making scrap quilts. And working in quadrants -- what a good idea!! Your blocks are wonderful!

Rosa said...

I love your blocks and your working methods,great idea!

regan said...

This is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see it together!

Barb said...

great brown and red blocks! One of my favorite combinations.
I love broken dishes - in quilting that is :O

Deb said...

Now the fun part begins - putting them all together and having a finish!! Can't wait to see it. And you know what - I never thought of working in quadrants. Sounds like a really good idea.

Karoline said...

I like your system for the blocks :) They look lovely