Thursday, July 19, 2012

Yes, Karen, I DID Finish My Bow Tie Quilt!

Every workday morning, if I'm lucky, I have email conversation with my pal, Karen. This past week, it seems in the first email of every day, she asks "Did you finish your bow tie quilt?" and so now tomorrow, I can say "Yes! Yes, Karen, I DID finish my bow tie quilt!"


Quite happy with it! Measures 63 x 72 and no border! It's no secret that adding borders to a quilt is probably quite low on my list. And so when Karen says, "I don't think you should add a border. I think quilts look older without borders." Well...as if I would argue! So no borders!

Can you see the subtle shift between the two different Moda Bella Solids reds that I used? Here's a pic where you can probably detect the difference.


The bulk of the blocks were pieced using Moda's Country Red, and the few sparklers mixed in are made from Moda's Christmas Red. I think they play well!

In other news, if you follow me on Instagram (kwiltykim) or Facebook, then you know I was stuck in a two-day insurance seminar earlier this week! But all was not lost...while sitting in class, during a break I'm sure ;o), I plotted the next quilt!


Yep...broken dishes in my future!

Tonight I readied the fabrics for pressing...


I'm thinking I may as well plan for this one to be a queen size. I think I'll go with 3" finished half-square triangle units! Hopefully this weekend I'll get these all pressed and will whip out my Easy Angle and start cutting!

Hope your week is treating you well!

*Peace!

8 comments:

Catherine said...

Love the reds, but oh, the colors for your new quilt ~ absolutely love!! And queen size.....hhhmmmmm....that would fit my bed! ;)

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on finishing the beautiful bow tie quilt. I like the sparkle the Christmas red adds to the quilt.
The fabrics for the next project are gorgeou.

Chris said...

Congrats on your lovely finish! I am looking forward to seeing your work on the next one :)

Karen said...

Love it! Especially without the borders! Looking forward to seeing your progress on the new quilt. I still remember when you bought the fabrics... should be a lovely one!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Love the bow tie quilt, Kim and can't wait to see your new one, too!

Margaret said...

Gorgeous! Love the bow tie -- the two reds are great! And the fabrics for the new one -- yum! So yum! Can't wait to see it!

Barb said...

looks great!!! i love the bow tie and red & white.

Deb said...

Woo Hoo on the bow tie quilt! Like the two reds - they do go well. And can't wait to see your next quilt - I've got so many of those fabrics that need to be used - you and I have a lot of the same tastes!!