Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thrifty Thursday!

As I was photographing this week's finds, I decided I need to buy stock in a bubble wrap company because when we finally move, I'm going to need a TON of it to wrap all my pottery! LOL

Oh well...that won't stop me from bringing home things like this!


Two long planters...the yellow one is USA pottery and will join my little growing collection of warm yellow pottery! It's got a neat basketweave pattern. It was .79. And the RED one...well....what can I say...it was RED! And had wonderful color! It says it's from Lake Oswego, Oregon. It was 3.79, so I thought it needed to come home and adorn bookshelves....or perhaps find a place in my quilt den!

Then there was this 2.00 find.


I don't know what drew me to it...the color? the old pottery feel? It's from Japan and is definitely a different type of pottery....great shape. Almost feels like chalkware, but I don't think it is.


Anyone have any info about it?

And then...there was this fellow.


I spied him across the store. He was 'behind the counter', so that meant 'pricey' as far as a thrift store goes. $29. I left him....I walked OUT of the store....I put my purchases in the car. I couldn't stop thinking about him. No marks, but there was just something that kept digging at me.

So I went back in...shelled out the $29 and brought this home.


Isn't it wonderful? It's in excellent condition...nary a chip or crack! And once I started investigating online....I believe this is a piece of McCoy pottery. I love him and his bird-chicken-quirkiness!

Did you find anything special as of late? Would love to hear about it!

*Peace!

9 comments:

Lauralee @ The Eclectic Stitcher said...

I enjoy so much your Thrifty Thursday posts, especially the pottery (a weakness of mine). I see what you "score" and I think "Darn, where are stores like that where I live?" Our Goodwill is filled with Walmart castoffs.

But....I have that same chicken pitcher myself! I got him years ago and probably didn't pay more than a couple of bucks for him. He's a real cutey and definitely a keeper!

Margaret said...

Oh, nice! I think that blue bird was worth the priciness!

Joy said...

Wonderful finds...so glad you didn't pass up the pitcher.

Edgar said...

The bird pitcher is a McCoy from 1940's - it also comes in yellow, green and white - a super find and a great price.

SharoninStLouis said...

LOve your poottery finds. I have the same bird pitcher -- and I do believe it is a McCoy. Your yellow USA planter might ber McCoy as well. Great finds all!

Deb said...

Great finds as always. I always look forward to seeing what things you bring home!

mdgtjulie said...

LOL, nothing here lately. I'm to busy spending money on charts to buy anything else!!! Your finds are lovely though. I especially love the red planter. Great color!

Littlebit said...

KK..I'm with Lauralee..our Goodwills look like trashed stuff. But our antique place is amazing. I am silly about Fiestaware! I have 3 colors, and I will need more cabinets if they ever come out with the pink again. It usually runs about $10-$25 per piece for the cups and saucers. My Audrey found me 2 of the dessert plates in one of her thrift stores for $1.50 each! O.M.G.! Recently Paulette and I went antiquing, and we each picked up a cup AND saucer set for $7.50. I LOVE PINK! Your chicken is absolutely beautiful. MM

carol fun said...

LOVE the bird pitcher - and I too would have gone back for him! I have a little collection of McCoy and Shawnee pottery and I try to stick with yellow pieces but I have no self restraint when it comes to bird pieces! LOL