Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Thrifty Thursday!

I'm baaaaaack.....I'm back in the saddle again..... (an ode to Steven Tyler. Have you been watching American Idol? He's quite the hottie...no? YEEEESSSS!).

Yessirreeeee....after a week of not finding much, I found a few treasures this week! Whew!

I couldn't pass up this lovely hand signed pottery piece...for two bucks..look at these cute little birds!


And the color!


But can someone please maybe explain to me how this works? This is a solid bowl shape. But as you can see below...there is a hole inside...with an opening at the top of the tube.


I thought you would insert a bottle in the opening to allow water to flow thru the little hole and fill up the bowl. Silly me for sharing this notion with the hubs. He immediately starting dismissing the idea. Something about gravity and water levels and blah blah blah blah blah blah...blah blah blah....I lost interest. LOL Any ideas out there?

The remaining items were a buck each.


Frankoma! For the Frankoma collection!


For a dollar! Wooohooo!

And this! LOVED the raised pattern.


I love the rectangular planters. Perfect for windowsill herbs!

And then these...well...they're just fun! Giant brass clips.



And looked like something Mary Tyler Moore or Rhoda would have had! Okay...I'm completely dating myself (ahem..I'm 45)...but I LOVED watching both Mary Tyler Moore and Rhoda. LOVED their apartments...even back in the 70s I was paying more attention to the set design than the characters! LOL I loved the decor...and even that famous M on the wall. Hmmmm...WHY haven't I acquired a K? Note to self....get a K. For your wall. I'll tack this note under the "At Once" clip! ;o)

*Peace!

12 comments:

Melody said...

I totally remember Rhoda and Mary. It was like my favorite show .. I got a big M for my bedroom.
Good finds on your thrifty adventure.

Melody

Bookwomanstitches.com

Sylvia said...

OH, I love the bowl - I have something similar ( from a gerage sale) and I have no idea how to use it. I would be very interested in seeing if anyone knows, then maybe it could be more than a decorative item.

Margaret said...

I loved Mary and Rhoda too. I can see why these reminded you of that. :D The first thought I had with that dish was that it was a candleholder! lol! Probably not though, huh?

Kellie said...

I believe that bowl is designed for bamboo. We have a similar one that we bought on vacation several years back with bamboo in it. You keep water in the bowl and it seeps through that small tunnel in the bottom to feed the plant. I could be wrong but I'm almost positive this is the same type of bowl we had for that specific plant.

Love Thrifty Thursdays!

Laurie in Iowa said...

I'm so relieved... I was concerned last week when you didn't have any 'finds'.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Hm ~ I thought candle-holder, too ~ but the little tunnel opening doesn't compute! Maybe the bamboo idea is right on! And ~ I was 45 once, too! So glad you're on the mend!!

Linda said...

The bowl with the birds - looks like some type of waterer to me, but the pics don't size it. How it works (if it works like pet waterers)is pretty much as you said. But first, put water in the bowl. Attach the filled bottle. As the pet/bird drinks the water the bottle will "burp," releasing more water in the bowl.
Try it somewhere you don't mind getting wet in case it runs over or leaks!
I really love this piece!

Linda (momma to dog, cats & birds)

troy and christina said...

I grew up on a chicken farm and we used water-ers like this for the chicks. (Except ours were glass bottles with purely functional plastic bowl-shaped lids.)

But we would fill the bottle, then screw on the lid (bowl in your case) while the bottle was still open-end up. Then give the whole thing a quick flip and stand it on the bowl. Water fills the bowl to a certain level and then stops.

Do the threads in the bowl fit a standard pop bottle? It's a beautiful bowl in any case. Good luck!
-christina

Teri said...

I don't know that I've commented before, but I love your pottery finds! I'm thinking the mystery piece might be a dish to fix baked apples in. Try putting a cored apple over the hole, top with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, etc. around the edges. Stick it all in the oven, and see what happens! Could be a big mess, but the results could be really good too!

Siobhan said...

I loved Mary and Rhoda! I always wanted an apartment like Mary's. GREAT finds!

Anonymous said...

The bowl with the cute birds, may be an apple baker. You core the apple and place it over the center stem then place it in the oven.

Anna van Schurman said...

Most girls I know wanted to be Mary, but I always admired Rhoda's outspokenness. We had an "S" on the wall at home for years.