Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thrifty Thursday!

Two stops this week...same store....different days....and about $8.00 Let's see what I found!


An unassuming piece of pottery. Very earthy! No chips...loved it! Took off the lid and loved it more.


What a great glaze inside! I turned it over to see if it was signed...


even better! Muchelney pottery from England! I came home and read up on the guy...love this piece! And you can see I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it!

And then I found this piece for .75


It's signed by the artist and I just loved the dimension.


Although the hubs pointed out that you can't put a cup on it...or eat off of it...well DUH dear! I had to show him how lovely it looks HANGING on the WALL. I think he gets it. If not...he's not letting on! LOL

You may remember in earlier thrifty outings I've brought home an oversized brass key...and an oversized unknown brass bug. Well this little guy came home to join them.


He was my most expensive purchase at $2.50. But look....


his shell opens!

And then there were these pieces.


Another great pottery piece...loved the green ($1.00)! And the alabaster (?) apple paperweight ($1.50).

I also spotted another piece of Southern Living at Home...


The farmhouse wine caddy for a buck-fifty!

So many of you email me seeking tips on finding good stuff. I don't know what to say other than I do go often...which makes it easy to breeze thru the store and be able to spot new things. I read decorating magazines and blogs and always have my eye on antiques and such online, and that makes it easier to spot things that may have value over those things that do not. But mainly, honestly, I look for things I like (i.e. pottery, silver) and when I come across something that I can re-sell to recoup thrifty dollars, I'm giddy! This week...it's all staying home with me, but who knows what next week will find!

Enjoy your Thursday!!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Nice! Love how the turtle opens! And the wine caddy -- you know it's from Southern Living? Nice!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love your pottery finds ~ as I've said before, our thrift shops do not have the nice things you come up with! And I meant to tell you that also Love the frame on your butterfly stitchery ~ the color of the frame just goes beautifully with your very nicely done piece! I've said it before and I'll say it again ~ You Are Something!!! Imagine how much you would create if you didn't have your job ~ it would be headspinning!

Michele said...

Congrats on your finds!

Cari said...

Great finds Kim...I like all of them!!

Nancy said...

My in-laws had a turtle just like that...except you pushed the head down and the back flipped open. They used it for an ashtray and when they both passed, my daughter asked for that turtle to keep...

Jan said...

Great finds - I've seen a similar turtle (in a magazine) and it was supposed to hide a key.

Catherine said...

You've done it again! Love the turtle - I can picture him holding my needles!

Michelle said...

My parents used to have two turtles like that when I was little. Wonder where those are!!! Love the piece with the little hexagons in the center. How fun!

Sylvia said...

Great finds, my fav are the plate and the totally awesome green candle holder!! You are totally correct, going often is the key. I used to find the most fabulous things - I miss those days. Now I have to live vicariously through you!!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Great finds! You're right - go often - that's the trick!