Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thrifty Thursday!

Useful things came home this week....


these look to have never been used! Anchor Hocking refrigerator dishes were a steal on 25% Off Tuesday at the thrift store. $6.75 for all three. I don't know about you, but I never seem to have a lidded container for leftovers when I need it. These will be handy!

And the remainder...things I love!


Bobbins and spools.


Another handthrown and signed pottery mug.


A pottery matchstick holder. At least that's what I intend to use it for! The long fireplace matches. Loved the color of the pottery...signed "Johnson". Johnson...you did well!

And then today's big purchase....


three lovely plates to add to my Memory Lane collection. I collect Memory Lane for 4 reasons.

1) It came to be in 1965, and 1965 was a very good year.
2) It originated in Ohio (Go Buckeyes!)
3) It's RED
4) It has ACORNS!

So yes...I do pick up the pieces when I find them. These three little plates were taped together and I was charged a mere fifty cents for all three! They're in excellent condition!

And the little spoon on top...


it's Community Silver and lovely and so petite. At first glance I thought maybe a baby spoon...but it looks like it could also be a small teaspoon. Regardless...it was a dime. A whopping .64 was my total for the Memory Lane pieces and spoon!

Another fun week of finds! I also paid it forward and sent home a wonderfully mismatched, yet useful, set of Pyrex mixing bowls home with daughter! She was thrilled to have an entire set. And I liked spreading the thrifty love straight from my kitchen cabinets! Frees up some space! ;o)

What did you find this week?

*Peace!

14 comments:

Sylvia said...

Lovely finds, as always. I, too, am a pottery junkie, and I agree - Johnson did really well. One of my favorite pottery bowls has this signature - Praise God Rob. It totally endears the bowl to me. Most of mine came from garage sales. Totally bummed that they don't do garage sales over her.

theodora said...

I am so envious of your lovely finds ,they are all so usefull you did well again,xoxo theodora

Margaret said...

Very nice! It's funny about the Anchor Hocking dishes -- I was just contemplating how my leftover containers are in need of replenishing. lol! Love the spools etc. And the red dishes. And everything!

Michele said...

I must be going to the wrong sort of thrift stores! ;) I never find such great stuff. I love, love the red and white dishes, and I much prefer glass storage containers to plastic. You done good! ;)

Julie M said...

Great finds! My best friend loves the refrigerator dishes, I love the red dishes and pick them up when I happen to find them which isn't often. Haven't been out thrifting for a while though. Strict budget since the holidays. :(

Catherine said...

You've done it again! I have determined that you have waayyy better thrift stores than I do! Maybe one day I'll need to take a road trip!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow what great treasures you found!

Michelle said...

What fun finds this week!

Taryn said...

Great finds! I am wanting some of those refrigerator dishes. What a nice substitute to plastic.

Littlebit said...

Oh my, KK! I love those little plates!! And the Anchor Hocking covered dishes are wonderful!

Jackie said...

You always find such wonderful things! I especially love the Anchor Hocking glass dishes. Gorgeous!

mac said...

I agree, '65 was an excellent year, and Ohio is a fine place from which to originate.

I like the old Anchor Hocking stuff too. Could be, that's another Buckeye product as well :-)

Jan said...

Me thinks I have been neglectful of visiting your blog...and I sure have missed alot too! Wow to your finds...good thing I wasn't with you at the time, you happened to come home with some of my favorite things!Love the covered dishes, the pottery,the spools, all of it!! Woohoo!!

KathieB said...

I have some glass fridge boxes just like those and use them all the time. Trying to transition away from plastic although I'm not sure it will do me any good at this stage of the game!!