Saturday, January 01, 2011

A Sunny Outlook, Big Starts & Lobster!

Well HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! So excited for a fresh start...a new year...and so many possibilities!

I'm starting the new year with A Sunny Outlook! My New Year's Day quilt start....


is that not the sunniest yellow!? I thought working on a sunny yellow quilt in the deep throes of a South Dakota winter would be a great way to start the year! So I've got strips at the ready. You know of my love for nine patch quilts, and this quilt will be a nine-patch/snowball combo. In a bright sunny yellow and a crisp white. It makes me smile just cutting it out!

And against my usual mode...I'm going to have a couple other things in the works this weekend! I know, I know...I'm typically a one quilt at a time gal! What's wrong with me? Well...I'm loosening up a bit. ha!

Actually, this quilt has been one on my mind for a while, and I've been collecting the toiles to prove it.


But it's not like I'm going to overload myself...this one will be about the simplest quilt there is. All big squares. All toiles....on the red end of the spectrum. Quick, simple and utilizing part of the toile collection!

And speaking of the red end of the spectrum, a third quilt is started. When I made my most recent Ohio Star quilt a month or so ago, I had a leftover block and it just happened to be made from one of my favorite Moda civil war repro prints. So I ordered a bolt...


and will be making an untold number of Ohio Star blocks. Not sure if I will set with sashing or just butt them all up together yet, but I'll be making the blocks and can decide later!

So those are three quilts that are my New Year's Day starts! And I've got a couple more days before heading back to the office, so am hopeful to make some headway!

Last night with minutes to spare I finished Ann Rayner...after an entire day of solid stitching. And to be honest, I was a little sick of the needle when I woke up this morning. But in keeping with tradition, this evening, I did start my New Year's Day sampler...


and it's a doozy. But with no deadline, so it's all good! AND this is my first time ever using a scroll rod lap frame. I invested in a Ks Creations frame....purchased the little strappy things that Deb suggested I need since I like my linen taut..and I put the beginning stitches in. And I must say it was relaxing not to have to hold a hoop! And I get to finally put my lovely Kelmscott Designs needleminder to use!

So these are my starts for today, this very first day of January, 2011.

My guys made it back just a little while ago from their Deadwood excursion. The entire South Dakota interstate system was shut down yesterday thru this morning because of a blizzard, so their stay was extended for a day. Hubs and I will have our pre-empted New Years Eve dinner tonight now. I actually bundled up, shoveled snow and barrelled my way out of the driveway to the grocery store this afternoon! No small feat for me...the cold-weather-wuss! But I had lucky food to pick up! I made a black-eyed peas salsa for snacking but had planned to pick up a pork roast for the customary pork and sauerkraut. However...when I made it to the store, apparently they had a shipment of fresh live lobster come in right before the storm, and with no store patrons to purchase them New Year's Eve, that meant they had lobster to get rid of! So they were on sale! We'll be enjoying our first dinner of the new year...ribeye and lobster. Worth the pre-empting! With an appetizer of black-eyed peas salsa for luck! I'll extend the lucky food thing into tomorrow and fix the pork & sauerkraut tomorrow!

Lucky foods or not, I expect great things in 2011! And I'm excited to share them with you as they unfold!

Happy New Year!!

*Peace!

12 comments:

Taryn said...

Oh yum!!! That's for the ribeye and lobster AND for your three new year's starts. I think the sunny yellow is an excellent idea. I was thinking about pulling out my 30's repros today because we are now on the dreary side of winter since the holidays are ending. Thanks for brightening up my day. Enjoy your feast!

Margaret said...

Love your New Year's starts! Those toiles -- oh yum! I love toiles! And the sunny -- oh so sunny! Nice Ohio Star too! And SDW -- well, yeah, I have that one started too. lol! Good the boys made it home. Your dinner sounds great!

Katrina said...

Fun projects, love your new sampler especially :-).

Catherine said...

You always pick the most wonderful fabrics!!!

Happy New Years to you!

carol fun said...

Oh I love your sunny yellow fabric- this is going to be a wonderfully sunny quilt - Happy stitching in the New Year!

Sherry :o) said...

Love your new quilt starts - and stitching...I don't like to work with deadlines on stitching unless it's small...glad your travelers made it home safe. We started out 50* yesterday and then the cold moved in from out there- it's only 19* a mere 24 hours later.

Laurie in Iowa said...

That bright sunny yellow will help chase the winter blues away. I love those toiles too.
You've picked a fabulous New Years Day start... and SDW is huge.
Enjoy your lobster feast.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Such an upbeat, positive post! Love it! Love your enthusiasm and your quilting and stitching starts! You're one amazing girl!! Happy New Year to you and glad the hubs and son got home safely ! I would feel sad if I had so spend New Years alone!! Can't wait to see what all you'll be up to this year!!!

Michelle said...

I cannot wait to see what you do with the yellow fabric - nine patch and snowballs - sounds fabulous (and I LOVE yellow!). Love the new stitching start too - how fun! Happy New Year!

Meredith said...

keep going. I am excited for you. All of the fabric is lovely.

judy said...

Love, Love, Love your sampler. I'm excited to see one more person using a rolling frame. They never leave creases or distort your fabric and stitching. My favorite is Rolaframe. It easily and firmly holds the ends of your fabric with tiny finishing nails instead of basting. Basting is more difficult to adjust if you don't get it just right. There is even a magnet on the side for your needle. Keep up your beautiful stitching! :-)

Love to Stitch said...

I love your new January start-- nothing like starting doozy's right? It going to be beautiful, I started this one too last year, I might have to get mine out....Look forward to progress pics :)