Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Butterflies & Yellow Snow

First of all, I want to say thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all of you who commented on our journey with Miss Ellie Mae. I sincerely appreciate every story shared. For now, even though she is growing weak, she still has her wits about her....still jumps up on the sewing table...and still speaks her mind. It's very easy to turn on the shower and rinse away her tub buzizness. When she no longer has her wits about her, cannot jump up on the sewing table and does not speak her mind, then the time will be drawing near. But for now....I have a very skinny cat and her name is Ellie Mae! :o)

I've got some finishes to share!

I FINALLY remembered to go in to the framers and pick up my CHS 1814 Butterfly Collection!!!


It turned out just as I had hoped! Like an old shadowbox...


I have a feeling I will see this molding on other samplers in the future.


I just love it! But then I'm a burlwood freak, so goes without saying!


Hubs tried to "guess" how much I paid for this beauty. In true form he ALWAYS guesses stupidly low. When will he realize I have FABULOUS taste!?!??

Tonight I added the extra two rows of blocks to the "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" quilt.


It's a large 97 1/2" square now. Too big to lay out flat to get a pic, so imagine this only double. As you can see, Sam was accompanying me downstairs this evening and he felt the need to trample all over the Yellow Snow quilt.

Now I just have to wait for the backing fabric to arrive in the next month or so. In the meantime I can toss around quilting ideas. Do I pin baste this sucker and straight line it myself? Hmmmm.....or do I turn it loose in to the hands of an accomplished longarm quilter with a request for "vintage". I really just want simple.....decisions decisions!

I'll be working on this quilt project now...


and I also pulled fabrics for another one!


Two quilts going at once....I think I can get the hang of this. And then I'll have double quilt top finishes too! It's a good thing!

Thanks again, blog friends, for your thoughtful comments. I hope you're having a wonderful week!

*Peace!

21 comments:

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

everything looks great as usual!! Hubs are just so silly sometimes arent they!! I think vintage style quilting on the yellow snow would be perfect... but what do I know?? lol!!

Tracey said...

Absolutely LOVE your Butterfly collection! The colours are delish :^)

Melissa said...

Love that framed butterfly piece. The frame is just gorgeous!

Glad your kitty is still in good spirits!

Cari said...

The frame for your Butterfly Collection is PERFECT!! Excellent choice Kim. Have fun with the quilts. Warm Hugs....

Angela (Cottage Magpie) said...

I have gone through the loss of four kitties now. I know the kitties are happy being at home with us until the end, but it's still tough every time. Best thoughts for you.

Meanwhile, I love that you're going sans borders on the yellow snow quilt! I am definitely in the no-border camp in general, and this quilt is so wonderfully vintage! Yay for no borders!

Best,

~Angela

Karoline said...

{{{Kim & Ellie Mae}}} I hope you have many more good days together.

Your Butterfly Collection is gorgeous, congratulations

The Primrose Lane said...

I have the same butterfly design, unfinished - now you have inspired me to
get moving! It is beautiful!

Margaret said...

How could you forget to pick up that Butterfly piece??!! Gorgeous!! I love it! Your quilt is looking good too! Glad Ellie Mae is still herself in all but the skinniness and bodily functions. :D

Deborah said...

Love your butterfly finish! The frame is perfect.

Littlebit said...

KK! Your Butterfly pieces is perfect! I can't wait to see what you do with that quilt. MM

Laurie in Iowa said...

You picked the perfect frame... it looks fabulous. I'm liking the new star block too.

Siobhan said...

Ooooh, I LOVE your Butterfly Collection piece!! Great frame choice. I had to LOL at the Yellow Snow. Great name! It is really pretty.

I'll keep Ellie Mae in my thoughts and prayers. I know you don't want her to suffer but it's so hard to know when is the time to say goodbye. My mom had a cat for almost 20 years. Baby was blind and nearly deaf by the time she finally passed... my mother was taking her to the vet for the final time, when she wouldn't eat or drink, and she actually died in the car on the way. I hope your Ellie will go as peacefully without pain, when the time comes--and I hope that will be a long time from now. Hang in there!

Love to Stitch said...

Your butterfly collection is GORGEOUS!!!!!! This is one of my favorites and with that FRAME!!!! WOW!!!!! Love it.

Catherine said...

Your choice of frames could not have been more perfect!


Something about your pup standing on the "Yellow Snow" quilt made me chuckle!

Michelle said...

Your butterflies turned out beautifully!! And I'm anxious to hear what you decide to do with the yellow snow. Can't wait to see more of the new quilt tops too!

Jan said...

Oh, yes, the frame is wonderful. I, too, love burl wood. The entire piece is grand.
Curious about your new projects!

Karen said...

Your framed finish is great! Love the frame too.

Tanya said...

I really like your Butterfly collection framed. And the yellow quilt top. Happy thoughts for you and Ellie Mae today.

KathieB said...

I really like that frame. I really ought to pull out that long-unfinished sampler of mine. Whine, whine...

Katrina said...

What fun eye candy :-). The frame on your Butterfly piece is just perfect. Love th quilty fabric pictures too.

mac said...

I agree with your kitty decision. I know my critter is a big deal for me.