Saturday, October 09, 2010

What Would Laura Ingalls Wilder Do (the making of Busy Is as Busy Does)

Whenever my pal, Blogless Kimm (Hi Kimm!), finds herself in a creative quandry, she's taken to posing this question to herself: "What would Laura Ingalls Wilder do?". and then she figures it out another way and moves along. I love that! And posed that same question to myself today!

You may remember I was inspired by this quilt...


Lovely! And planned to feature this fabric as the main 'chintz' print...


But oh NO! What the HECK??? I only had TWO YARDS!??!? Seriously...what is wrong with this picture? I NEVER buy two yards of anything. It's 1/2 yd, 3 yards or 5 yards typically! I suppose maybe two yards was all that was left where I purchased it. Now, I found some more of this online and was going to purchase more so I could make a close simile of the quilt in the picture. But then decided I would just ask myself "What would Laura Ingalls Wilder do?" and the answer was...she would make do.

She would figure out a way. So I whipped out my 'tools' and got busy.


I decided to morph the quilt in the pic with a version of Strippy Stars from Jo Morton and started working the math.

Since I was doing my own block size..different from either pattern, my Quilters Need to Know card came in handy dandy! Do you have one of these?


I have had mine for many many years and it never fails to come in handy! It has measurements for setting triangles and the like, all based on the finished block size. I wouldn't be without it!

After the figuring and cutting, this is what remains of the main bird chintz print...


Not MUCH! I used as much as I could! and I made do!


And I must say, I'm pleased.


The quilt isn't huge by any stretch (approx 50 x 65).


But it's the perfect size for hand quilting and to display artfully on a wall...


I took the best parts from the quilt in the book....the fabric choices, including that unexpected pop of blue in the middle strip. And I called it good. And named it "Busy Is As Busy Does". Because it IS full of busy prints...and I stayed busy to get it done!

Next time you find yourself in a creative quandry....ask yourself "What would Laura Ingalls Wilder do?" and then get it done! It's always a great feeling to know that you 'made do'.

Of course I waaaay over-cut in preparation for the bigger version of the quilt. Hmmm...I wonder what Laura Ingalls Wilder would do with these??


Looks like the start of another scrap quilt to me!

*Peace!

18 comments:

Margaret said...

OMG! It's gorgeous!!! I love that pop of blue in the middle strip! Oh gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!!

Cari-in-VA said...

Kim, I LOVE it - the quilt is absolutely beautiful. I just love the colors and fabrics.

KathieB said...

Love it! I love busy quilts most especially too, so this is right up my alley. And you have to have the courage of your convictions--I made a real busy one a few years ago and was too chicken to quilt it and show it in public for a long time. When I finally did finish it, it won a ribbon at a show. So there you go. Was I making a point here? Or am I just yammering? Don't know. It's late.

Catherine said...

Love it!! I want to just wrap myself up in it!

Jayne said...

I love it, Kim. I have been wanting to make a strippy quilt and I have many fabrics in the stash that would work quite well in this setting. Such an inspiration!

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Told ya! It is beautiful! Laura would indeed be proud.

Kathie said...

isn't it good to step back and reevaluate and use what you do have?
good for you
very nice wall quilt
cant wait to see how you quilt it.
now you have inspired me to make mine! wonder how many yards I bought!
LOL
Kathie

Siobhan said...

Kim, that is GORGEOUS!!! Wouldn't it look so nice hanging on the wall, with the framed fraktur sampler that you stitched recently just casually placed in front on a wrought iron easel?!? LOVE it. Half Pint would be proud.

Laurie in Iowa said...

You are so creative Kim. Love the new 'busy' quilt top. I adore the chintz bird print and it's waiting in my stash closet for me to get creative.

Cari said...

OMG Kim....beautiful...just beautiful. You are ONE talented lady with smokin' needles!! Fantastic !!!

Barb said...

that blue card is the best!
I love your 9-patch quilt and the big bird print is inspired! love it so much

Myra said...

That is so pretty Kim. I love the pop of blue with all the browns. Great job!

Deb said...

Can I be like you when I grow up??? Oh my goodness, do I love that quilt! I really love seeing your combinations come together!

And I think that I need that card. I used to have one but I think it got lost somewhere.

Jan said...

Beautiful strippy top! I happen to be a fan of lots of prints used together. It makes it look old and very rich imho. And, the size is nice for your very own quilt to nap under!
Leftovers - they become something else - it's like making sourdough starter and bread. It doesn't end!

Loraine said...

So gorgeous Kim! Great job. I love this quilt so much!

Erin in MI said...

Wow Kim! I'm amazed at how quickly you got this done...you are amazing! Great job!

woolwoman said...

Wow Kim - that little stumbling block did not get in your way - WHEW - what a beauty you cranked out - maybe you work better in crisis LOL ! it's lovely - Mel

Michelle said...

Love love love it! What a great solution to your quandry. And you didn't have to wait for fabric to come in, you could just get started! Love the pop of blue too. Perfect!