Monday, October 25, 2010

The Quilting Will Save It

Well...the quilt top is done. I was so excited putting this one together!


One of my favorite blocks...and a replica of an old quilt. Yes..I had high hopes!

Do you have an area like this for your inspiration? This is a small section of the wall above my ironing board....it's where I tack pictures and 'stuff'.


Future quilts are hanging here! And my inspiration for this quilt came from another page from a magazine.

I'm not sure what magazine this came from....an old Cottage Living perhaps...not sure, but I've had this page ripped out and tacked to my wall for a while.


Finally I decided it was time to make my own version of this...


I'm a little disappointed that my selection for the shirting sashing isn't reading as dark as I'd like....


or maybe it's that the cornerstones are reading TOO dark?


In any event, I am pleased. It's difficult to see the dark setting triangles in the magazine picture above, but if you look very closely at the bottom, near the floor, you can see them.


This is one of those quilts...


that I'm pretty sure will take on a different look once quilted, and then it will give me that look I want! I plan to quilt the sashing with a darker thread...to bring some more 'dark' to those areas.


All in all, I like it! It measures about 72 1/2 x 72 1/2 and is my own version of the pictured quilt. Hindsight I would have gone a shade lighter on the cornerstones, but...I'm hopeful the quilting will save it!

Another productive weekend comes to an end! I am loving my 3 day weekends. I really would like non-stop weekends! Imagine the quilts I could get done!!

*Peace!

9 comments:

Deb said...

That quilt doesn't need one bit of saving Kim. It looks great!! How about you come over and attack a few on my sample board! LOL :o)

Beth said...

I think it came out gorgeous!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

It looks great from here!!

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh Kim! I love, love, love this one!

Margaret said...

Pretty pretty pretty! I love it! It's the traditional quilts that get me. :D

Cari said...

WOW OH WOW.... I love it Kim...Great job!! Hugs

Kathie said...

I have a board like that too I pin up pictures of quilts I like or lots of sticky notes in books! The quilt looks good.
I made a quilt like that and used a cream in the backgrounds and a shirting for the sashing.
Kathie

schnoobie said...

yeah what Deb said! No saving required!!It is kick ax!!

KathieB said...

I think we have many of the same magazine pictures saved. Love that star...