Sunday, October 17, 2010

And Then Came The Border...

It was an afterthought.

I did not intend a border.

I was just moving along last night, piecing blocks...


when for some reason I turned to my left...looked down at a stack of stash...and decided to dig around and just see....see if anything jumped out at me. I just felt the quilt was going to need SOMETHING.

And walaaah...


Yesssssss......just what it needed! So I set out the rest of the evening...readying the center for final completion and border attachment come morning.

In the morning light, I was still liking it...but then the hubs came downstairs (hey..what are you doing down here anyway???) and he just made an innocent comment..."Is that what you're going to use for the border?" and then I started doubting. He didn't like the paisley. And he said it didn't really match.

Hmmmmmm.....


For a split second I thought of just not doing a border...cast it aside...but the more I looked over at it, I knew it had to be the border.


I'm glad I went with my initial instinct. And when my facebook quilt bud, Mickey Depre, said, sight unseen, that I should go with my original choice, it was just the push I needed to see it through.


It totally changed the quilt that was in my mind's eye when I started.


and turned it in to something better!


The sunlight of this morning confirms the choice!


Yep. I like it! A turn of the head resulted in an afterthought border...and it works for me!

*Peace!

12 comments:

Margaret said...

Always go with your instincts, I say. Never listen to the hubs. lol! Love it! The border really sets it off!

Cari said...

Love it Kim !! That border works!! Hugs

theodora said...

It does look good even though the boarder doesn't have eny of the colors that is in the body ,the more you look at things and try various tones and prints and then that will tell you what goes and what not I do this all day with framming enytime a customer comes in I have to give them my opinion since my eye is trained after so many years I can tell them right away several options, thanks for stopping over by the way good luck with the quilt I think it looks great.

Catherine said...

I'll admit, when I saw the first picture, I went, huh? But the more I looked, and then I saw the pic in the sunlight and, ahhhh, yes, I see now!! LOVE IT!

Jan said...

I like it, too! When someone questions my choices in quilting I really double myself just as you did. I'm glad that you went with your instincts!

carol fun said...

This is stunning! I LOVE it! I think the paisley really enhances the whole quilt -- just beautiful. Always go with your instincts - someone once told me that when you start asking the male members of your household for their opinion on a quilt you should do the opposite of whatever they suggest - LOL! Happy stitching!

Jayne said...

Lovely, Kim! A Kaffe border is a good thing.

Terri said...

I knew I would love this quilt the minute I "heard" blue and orange! My high school colors were Sunset Orange and Prairie Blue and I've always loved them together! Your border adds so much pizzazz to a beautiful combination.

jz said...

When do you sleep? You get SO much done...another beauty...well done.

mrae said...

WOW!!!!
I Love it!!!

Mickey Depre said...

I love it! That was totally the right choice!

Kathy said...

i love it and the border is perfect for it.