Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thrifty Thursday!

It's that time of the week again! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to stop off and do any thrift shopping at all this week! YET!!! So I thought I would share with you a previous find...one I hadn't shared in a Thrifty Thursday post.

This one was a bit spendier than most purchases, which may be why I didn't share it in my "thrifty" posts. In the beginning my posts were more about great cheap buys. But now they've morphed in to showing you what my oddly eclectic tastes are. So...it's time to share!


Pay no mind to the x-box controllers or any stray dust bunnies in the pic. Instead focus your attention to the other object in the picture. Isn't it great? No..not that brown transferware flower pot...though that's a $3 buy in itself. The painted nail barrel! At least I think it's a nail barrel. I'm not sure!

It has absolutely exquisite painted scenes and such all around it!


I just loved the colors...the different subject matter...


It was screaming to come home with me! And then I saw the top...


and it was all over but the shouting. I gladly paid the $20 and brought it home. Of course the hubs, in his infinite negative wisdom, deemed it a "fake" as soon as he saw it. A "fake" what?? A "fake" painted nail barrel? Helloooo...it's painted...and it's a nail barrel (at least I think it's a nail barrel!). He inspected it...thinking it was a printed design...and then he conceded that it was, indeed, a painted barrel. The inside is still brown wood....it's in fabulous shape.

I do not know it's provenance, but it's home now...


and I love it!! If you have seen anything like this or know anything about it, I would LOVE to hear from you!

Maybe I'll get a chance to stop off this evening after work in search of other oddly eclectic treasures! We can only hope!

*Peace!

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Ok, that's cool! Definitely worth the $20. Love it!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Great find! Sometimes husbands can be so negative!! Just jealous cause he didn't find it first!!

theodora said...

that is lovely and worth every penny ,and its practical it's a pot holder, I believe it is painted you will be able to see the brush strokes most of the time , enyhow it is a beauty.

Catherine said...

Very cool find indeed!

Barb said...

I'm green with envy of your barrel - it's is just my kind of thing. and the brown transferware (which I collect) - $3.00 no way!!!
good shopping!