Sunday, September 05, 2010

Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

Well I did it! I stayed up late last night and got the irish chain quilt done!


I ended up doing the first two borders as the pattern was written, and then just left off the third border of muslin, since I ran out.


I'm fine with this finish! I'm going to bind it in the gold! My bloggy pal, Dianne (Hi Dianne!) had mentioned pairing up these traditional quilts with a funky back...and so I dug thru my stash and found a chunk of this Kaffe!


That's what I'm going to use for backing!


All ready for basting! How exciting!

I continued to dig thru stash for backs for the other two quilts I recently put together.


Another Kaffe to go with the cheddar!

And I had absolutely NO idea what I was going to use this fabric for,


but I'm kinda liking it with this one! Thank goodness they were purchased in 5 yard increments! Backing is taken care of for these three!

Now sometimes the backing selection is an afterthought.....but sometimes, the backing dictates the quilt.

For instance...I pulled this out to audition with the cheddar quilt.


Didn't care for it paired with that, BUT...it led me to pulling fabric for my next quilt!


I'll be piecing a quilt to go with the backing for a change! ;o) Love this large Amy Butler print..and again..massive yardage, so it works out swell!

But first...before I can start a new quilt...I've got one last round robin quilt to work on.


We meet on the 14th for our Big Reveal party! I need to get busy on this! This is the center block of Nancy's quilt. Can't show you anymore in case she stumbles across my blog! Top secret quilting, ya know! ;o)

And before I work on that round robin...I've got an appointment with these.


Two Sour Cream Apple Pies will be going in the oven in the next hour. Daughter Ashley is coming over to help!

Hope you're having a productive and relaxing weekend!

*Peace!

15 comments:

Jackie said...

I like the simple border you chose for this quilt and I love the funky backing.

Myra said...

I am just loving the colors in your Irish chain. Yummy! I went to the orchard today and picked up some of those green things too. Apple Crisp is in the oven now.

Laurie in Iowa said...

I love it all. I can't believe you have all these 5 yd. cuts of fabric just hanging out in your stash closet.
Can't wait to see what you're going to make with the Amy Butler yardage.

Margaret said...

Love what you did with the border on the Irish Chain. And the backing fabrics for your quilts!!! Yummy! Love how you've started planning your next quilt with the Amy Butler backing. The pie sounds delicious!!

carol fun said...

Oh I love this Irish Chain - great colors! And your choice of fabric for the back is wonderful. It adds such a unique touch. Happy stitching!

Dianne said...

Loving that kaffe even better in big pictures :) You'll love them when they're done...just don't let them sit in the "to be bound" pile for too long!

woolwoman said...

Kim - love love all those yummy options you showed for quilt backings - you are so lucky to have so many wonderful choices. the Kaffe prints are looking great. You have such a good eye for putting things together. How's the knitting? Mel

Barb said...

Your Irish chain is fantastic and
your backing fabulous!!

Sherry said...

I just am catching up on your posts for the past couple this morning - boy have you been busy, Kim! I love the Irish chain (almost as much as your recent teal and white)....and you must really be a fast sewer....I worked on blocks last night and I am slow! But I had progress...that's all that counts, I guess. And I am still pretty new... Love the b/w and red! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Your Thursday finds are very sweet - never thought of having books on a stool...hmmm - have to keep that in mind! Where do you shop on your Thrifty Thursdays?

Catherine said...

I liked the quilt before I saw it all stretched out - but I love it even more now - especially with that fabric for the back! Ditto for the others - they are all going to look so great!

MJinMichigan said...

Your Irish Chain is wonderful. You must be a really fast machine piecer. I love seeing a surprise backing and the ones you showed are perfect for your projects. You must have quite a stash.

Miriam said...

Congratulations on your Irish chain quilt. I just finished a 10 inch Irish chain block; I can't imagine making a whole quilt!!!!
Love the backing you chose!
I just found your blog. I'm off to read some more! :)

Elaine Adair said...

wow - these are all pretty gorgeous pairings! Of interest is that the Kaffe Fassett fabrics make such beautiful backings or maybe inspiration pieces. The Irish Chain is deeeelicioussss and beeeeautifulllll!

Siobhan said...

I love it! You made a great choice with the border fabric, but the backing fabric really makes the quils zing. Great choices!

Tolentreasures said...

Love those backings! How perfect they all are!

Cathy