Thursday, September 02, 2010

Pluggin' Along

Pluggin' along on the red & gold irish chain quilt this evening. I have all of the alternating blocks done...


a little bit of other subcutting done...


but there's lots more waiting.


I sat like a complete slug on Tuesday evening and did absolutely NOTHING in the sewing room. Last night...a little cutting and piecing. And tonight I finished up the alternate blocks. Slowly but surely...pluggin' along!

To answer some questions and comments about my quilting and getting stuff done:

I don't have any Keebler Quilting Elves in the basement. I wish I did though!! That would be awesome!!! Nope...no elves.

I work quickly...sometimes too quickly...even when rotary cutting. I did cut the tip of my finger off once in my speedy pursuit of cutting, but we won't talk about that right now. They sewed it back on...the finger looks fine...rotary cutting blades are SHARP! Lesson learned.

I DO have a lead foot at the Bernina. I sew like I drive...fast! Pedal to the metal!!

I tend to do as much chain piecing as possible, which also helps speed things along.

I'm lucky to have a dedicated room for sewing, so the machine is up and ready all the time! And it happens to be in close proximity to the laundry room, and I'm constantly doing laundry! So I do sneak in 10 or 15 minutes here and there.

I tend to only have one piecing quilt project in the works at any given time. Well...except for that darn Farmers Wife Quilt Block of the Month! But we won't count that. I like to focus on one quilt, thereby getting it done in pretty quick time! I get one done, and then move on!

That being said...I do move on and piece another..and another...and another. I have some out to a professional longarm quilter. Others I do myself (ie crosshatching etc) on the Bernina. And others are awaiting basting and hand quilting.

This evening as I was piecing the alternate blocks and plotting in my head tomorrow's subcutting, I felt like I was being watched.

Out of the corner of my eye I spied the glares.


They're wishing I would stop with the speed piecing and do some speedy handwork on their bindings! Soon.....soon....

but first...I've got another quilt...or four...to piece!

*Peace!

6 comments:

Deb said...

Wow you are so organised! Are all your quilts being used at home or do you give them as gifts? They look fabulous - ouch on the finger though!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Pedal to the metal!! I knew it ~ you have to be in high gear all the time!! Have a good weekend, Kim!!

Margaret said...

Gorgeous! And all those quilts waiting for binding! Ugh -- not my favorite thing to do, but the reward of beautiful quilts when you're done! Yum!

Catherine said...

Whoo-hoo! You go - just watch out for those rotary blades!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you ever run out of room for those quilts, well, you have my address!

Anita said...

That pile there at the bottom looks like it could be mine! And I love speed sewing! I moved my machine to the much more sturdy dining table one day when a friend came over to sew with me and I loved that I put the pedal to the metal! I can't do that on my cheapo banquet table in my sewing room.

Karen said...

I read on "What A Load of Scrap" that you were going to have your Irish Chain done in the next 24 hours. I popped over to see your progress. I sew pretty fast too.