Sunday, August 22, 2010

Operation "Restore Ransburg Pottery" Complete!

Hello and happy Sunday! Hope you're enjoying the weekend! I certainly have been! You may remember I had some 'plans'...some 'things to do' this weekend! So far so good!

I got to babysit sweet Avery for about an hour last evening! Here she is sitting in my chair...


she had just upchucked on my shoulder so I sat her down to wipe it off and then grabbed the camera. The child has GOT to get used to the paparazzi...ha! She's getting so big!

After mama & daddy came and picked her up, I got busy with the cookie jar restoration!

You may remember we are starting with this...


since I washed all the paint off while 'cleaning' the piece! EEEEK! I thought this was a piece of Mexican pottery, but have since discovered it is, in fact, a Ransburg Pottery cookie jar. DANG!

Earlier in the day I stopped at Michaels craft store and picked up a little bottle of Tuscan Red craft paint. I didn't have any red in my old, decaying paint stash, so I ponied up the $1.79 and got busy. It was still too bright...so I added in some brown, mixed it up...


yep...that's the color I'm looking for! Not quite the poppy orange/red from the original piece, but I do love me some red, so I coated the whole piece...trying (albeit in vain) to avoid the floral design on the front. Ended up getting that a little messy. But the asters were also sorta washed away in my cleaning gusto...so I whipped out the old, decaying paint stash...


Yes I know...some of those are really old bottles of fabric paint! I was making do!

I channeled my inner Bob Ross and got to mixing to try and get close to the colors of the asters.


I was okay with the touchups....and set it outside to dry. A coat of clear satin finish followed.


Once dry, I whipped out the brown shoe polish. I still wanted this to look old!


I only rubbed the section with the asters....
getting that brown shoe polish in the crevices of the aster petals. I still left some of the old peeling paint.


Back outside for another couple spray coats of clear satin finish...so that when I have to clean this sucker again the paint doesn't come off!

All in all I'm pleased with the end results! It's a little different than the original....this is what I brought home...


and THIS is what I was left with after I cleaned it...


and THIS is what I have now!


I'm calling Operation "Restore Ransburg Pottery" complete!

Come back tomorrow and see what happened with the plaster cherub dude! Still a work in progress...as is the quilt!

*Peace!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one busy woman - wish I shared your energy!! And Avery, she is one cute baby! Can't wait to see her grow up. You did a fabulous job on the cookie jar - you deserve a show of your own!!
Love your blog.
Teri
mtjacobi@chorus.net

Myra said...

I think your restoration looks fabulous. I LOL'd at your Bob Ross comment - happy little flowers you painted. :o) Avery is a sweetheart!

Jackie said...

I think your restoration results are fantastic!

Margaret said...

Ok, I'm impressed. Very nice fix up job! Like the result a lot! And it goes without saying that Avery is just adorable!

Cari said...

Way to go Kim...good job!! My personal favorite...Avery of course!!

Catherine said...

It looks fantastic! Look out Bob Ross....here comes Kim!

That Avery just makes me smile every time you show a picture!

Elaine said...

Your restoration looks wonderful.
Avery is such a cutie!

Sherry said...

good job on the cookie jar! Good luck with your other restoration.

Jan said...

That is amazing, Kim!!! Perfection, so glad you were able to rescue it!!