Monday, August 02, 2010

Late Night Lemon Curd

I've been wanting to try my hand at making lemon curd for a while now. I am all over anything citrus...especially lemony citrus!

So tonight was the night. Basic ingredients...lemons, sugar, butter and eggs. Couldn't be easier...right?

Well...it was easy but it took a while for it to turn to "curd". LOL And if I was a good or even a mediocre foody blogger, I'd have pics of the process, but..alas...I do not. Trust me, the prep was easy. The longest part was stirring. Stirring the curd.

Stirring. and Stirring. aaaaand Stirring.

and finally....


walaah!! Lemon Curd!! YUM!

I suppose tomorrow I'll have to stop off at The Breadsmith and pick up a loaf of some bread worthy of the lemon curd!


Until then...it's in the frig. And the spatula was licked clean, so I can attest that it is super tangy and yummy!

If you'd like to try your hand at lemon curd, this is the recipe I used. Mainly because it didn't call for the double boiler method. It was really easy!

LEMON CURD (Barefoot Contessa)

Ingredients

* 3 lemons
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
* 4 extra-large eggs
* 1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
* 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.

Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.

Enjoy!

*Peace!

8 comments:

PatchworkRose said...

Did you know you can microwave Lemon Curd Quicker and so much easier or so my friend says. I still need to try it.
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/5001/microwave-lemon-curd.aspx
I just Love Lemon Curd :-)
Cheers
Lynne

Margaret said...

Interesting! I'll have to try it sometime! My husband loves to suck on lemons -- when he has one. :D

Cari said...

Mmmmmm...looks yummy!

Amy said...

Sounds YUMMY! Thanks for the info - might have to try it! :-)

Myra said...

It sounds delicious and looks so pretty in that little jar.

Sherry said...

Love the lemon curd! And the jar you have put it in is really cute. So ambitious after your marathon sewing day!

Glenna said...

Hooray for lemon curd! Love the stuff!

M.T. Pocketts said...

Lemon curd is rather scrumptious between two layers of cake....just sayin'!