Monday, August 23, 2010

Cherub MakeUnder

Remember my one dollar plaster cherub purchase from a while back?


Wooo! She was sporting the glam! Lots of pearly sheen and gold wings...a little too much bling bling for me and my home!

So this weekend it was time for a MakeUNDER! I had originally intended to use blog reader Paula's wonderful idea of distressing and painting her black. I went down and pulled out the aforementioned (prior post) old and decaying paint stash, but didn't find any black or burgundy or dark red...nor did I have any beeswax candles in the house.

But I DID find an unopened bottle of Patina Blue Antiquing Solution! EUREKA! I had an idea!

When I was at Michaels' getting the Tuscan Red paint for the Ransburg cookie jar ops, I also picked up a bottle of metallic copper paint.

I coated the lovely little cherub in copper paint, and then began the multiple layer application of the Patina Blue.


It took a while...but eventually...


the verdigris began to show!


I really like the way it turned out.


I sprayed it with a clear satin finish spray....


but that also came from the old and decaying paint stash, so not sure if it's doing it's job.


Once I got it hung up, it appeared that some of the verdigris was maybe lost in handling. So there may be one more layer of Patina Blue to be applied and perhaps I'll splurge on a new can of clear satin polyurethane spray!


I think the cherub deserves that. Don't you?

*Peace!

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow Kim, doesn't she look fabulous! My husband saw her too and loved her. What a wonderful difference. xo

Cari said...

Wow Kim...she looks fabulous. Good job...what a great improvement!! HUGS

Laurie in Iowa said...

She looks wonderful Kim.

Margaret said...

Fantastic!! I love how she came out! Don't even need to add more verdigris if you don't want. She looks wonderful!

Jan said...

Wowzers!!! She looks great, and I think it put a bigger smile on her face!! teehee...actually I just liked her with the copper paint wash!!

Catherine said...

It looks fantastic!

Janet Hartje said...

That turned out gorgeous! I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place, because I didn't like the original finish. I never would have imagined it could look so nice. Thanks for opening my eyes.

woolwoman said...

You are SO talented Kim - some people can just do anything ! She is worthy to grace your home now - too cool YGG - Mel

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Great job!!!

Paulette said...

Amazing!! I'm so going to try that stuff!!!!

Paulette

Paula said...

Its great! Perhaps it was a good thing you didn't have the paint or beeswax as this looks fantastic! Sealing it is a great idea though to keep that look. By the way, when things look like this (beauty in the unexpected), the Japanese call it Wabi Sabi and that is considered a HUGE compliment! Paula