Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thrifty Thursday!

Hello there on this wonderful Thursday morning! One day closer to Friday, AND it's time to share Thrifty Thursday finds!

Monday, the hubs and I set out to check out a few of our favorite places.

Stop 1 - GWilly's West.

Zip..Zilch...Nada.....nothing called out to me.

Skunked.

We move on...because this day the hubs is just determined to find a prized treasure...something Antiques Roadshow worthy...or at least something worth more than he paid! ;o)

Stop 2 - a thrift store run by the YMCA

All of my finds this week were from here...much to the hubs' dismay.


Yes dear...that is another crazed covered vegetable dish without the cover.


Yes dear, I realize I already have two others at home. I love to set them atop a stack of books. They're wonderful to 'gather' those little things....scissors end up in there, a thimble, spool of thread...they have a purpose and I love 'em!

And yes dear, that IS a regular ol' softball. I have a couple more at home..along with a couple old baseballs. Once when I was out with my pal, Blogless Kimm (Hi Kimm!), we stopped at a shop that had a LOVELY display....baseballs..all piled up...old baseballs...with greenery stuck in and among them...and flags! Little Old Glories on sticks...I LOVED it! And have been collecting to duplicate that display! So yes dear, the softball IS coming home with me.


What's that silver thing, he asks. A porridger dear! Don't you know I collect these!?!?!? ;o) I have three others at home, but none with a double handle. It was .69...it's coming home. Once I got home, I noticed it has some interesting marks on the underside, so I may research that piece a bit more! I don't know what it is about porridgers. But I do love 'em!

And then...I spied it....


A very large Longaberger basket. I broke out in a big grin when I saw it across the sales floor...I was beaming as I walked over and picked it up. Hubs followed...in complete disbelief. "Nu-uh!" he says. "I wanted to find one of those!!!" he feigns anger...but really it was just jealousy because I found the treasure of the day!


Isn't it lovely?

But uh-oh....someone has glued something to the inside at one point in time...


That's okay! I can deal with that! I'll just pick this stuff off (ha! not gonna happen very easily). It's still worth the price.

Oh joy..the price...


It's in wonderful condition other than the glued stuff on the inside rim. No broken splints or stains...just some cobwebs. $2.99!!!

I'm still stunned. And the hubs is still jealous! ;o)

We moved on to stop #3 - GWilly's central....and I picked up another large Anchor Hocking glass canister for $4 but that was the extent of it. No Antiques Roadshow treasures. Hubs is still disappointed. Maybe he'll have better luck next time out.

Don't forget...you can bring home some "treasure" of your own by entering my Stitchy/Kwilty Giveaway! Just leave a comment on the Threadheads Giveaway post to be entered!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you have a great Thursday and find some treasure of your own!

*Peace!

13 comments:

Cari said...

Oh that basket is a find!! Way to go Kim!! Hugs

Laurie in Iowa said...

Great basket find Kim! YGG

Margaret said...

Great finds! I love the basket and the porringer. I like porringers too!

Catherine said...

You've done it again! I have plenty of baseballs around here - I even have some that my boys were practicing signing - you know, for that day when someone asks for their autograph!

Sylvia said...

Finding Longaberger baskets at dirt cheap prices it always cause for whooping & hollering!! I used love finding them at garage sales - alas, they don't do garage sales here in Germany - but there are all kinds of other treasures to be found...

Myra said...

What a fabulous basket find Kim. Congratulations!

Deb said...

Great finds as usual Kim. I love the porridger. I don't think that I've seen those around here. I'll have to look while I'm out with my sis this week. And great deal on the basket!

Jan said...

What treasures, Kimmie!! Specially that L basket, unbelievable what ends up where! Oh and count me in on the porridger...those are really neat!

Sherry said...

you did have a good find - Logaberger baskets are still selling for more than that! I like the silver dish too - I had to look up porridger... as I have one and didn't know it. Sounds like a good day!

Robin said...

Kim, I just discovered your blog and it's WONDERFUL!!! I am a stitcher and a thrift store junkie!!! I love scrounging for treasures. I'll be visiting your blog often. thanks for sharing!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Fun finds, as usual, Kim! I saved all my boy's game balls (signed by coaches with the date of their game on them) and have them displayed in a large apothecary jar in our basement. Love the look!

mac said...

Have you ever seen the Longaberger Basket Building in Newark ?

It is so cool :-)

Meari said...

Awesome finds!