Thursday, June 03, 2010

Thrifty Thursday!

Quite the little bounty this week.....thanks in part to my favorite G'Willy clerk, Ginger!



Nice huh?

First off...before Ginger assisted...I found these little beauties.



I love the really colorful Mexican pottery...and have a little planter with this same sunflower motif, so for .99 this little canister had a new home!

And a nice Pfaltzgraff little dish/plate...



I love these to set on a stack of books to collect my scissors as I stitch or my thimble or rings etc.



Good buy!

How about the color on this piece?? WOW!



Made in Japan and with those lovely poppies AND the cobalt edging...thank you very much I will glady pay a dollar to bring you home. Another nice little dish to catch little what-nots.

And THIS great pair of old old old bowls


I'm hoping someone can maybe help me identify the maker. If you click the pic below...hopefully you can KIND OF make out an imprint from the larger bowl.


I'd love to know the history...the maker...anything. They definitely have age. And yes...they were a buck a piece.

And now...kudos to Ginger! At my G'Willy's....they haul out grocery carts full of goodies....with a big bath towel laying over the top. They USED to let you just help yourself and paw thru the carts before they got things out on the shelves. They must have had some 'altercations' though, and thus stopped letting people paw thru the carts.

I found this out because I spied something right away at the bottom of such a cart. And Ginger was there...emptying another cart...when I touched the sacred towel and asked if I could get something out of the cart. That's when she told me that customers were not allowed to pilfer any longer...she whispered to me...out the side of her mouth.."Just tell me what it is you want and I will get it out and sit it right here and then you take it." She was really trying to be sure she wasn't heard by anyone. It was kinda humorous. So I slyly lifted the towel and spied quite a FEW things I wanted! WOOHOOO!

Look at THIS!


It's HUGE....it's HEAVY...and it goes with the other two I have found on thrifting adventures. Lovely glass paperweight...bigger than a grapefruit and $4. Sold!

Then....imagine my surprise when I saw THIS!


My word! A bag of billiard balls!! Another $4...and another cha-ching--SOLD! I haven't come across billiard balls for a very very long time. Always excited to find them!

Ah Ginger.....you are too good to me..letting me have first dibs!

And to think it all started because I spotted these in the bottom of that cart...


Ball/Mason jar bonanza!! Some with zinc lids...a buck a piece! I don't know what I'm going to do with them...YET. I already have several holding buttons etc in the quilting den. So not sure what these will end up. Well...I kind of do. At she-who-carries-my-first-grandchild's (aka Amber) baby shower...one of her very cool friends brought her a gift...mason jars filled with pebbles and tulips.....in an old canner insert...the wire part that you lift out of the canner...it was VERY cool...and you just sit that whole canner insert right on your picnic table or outside table. It was just so casual and I loved it! So of course I need to now be on the hunt for a canner insert! It just never ends. But hey...cheap entertainment!

Yes...it was a great haul this past week folks! AND..Saturday...I'm venturing out with my friend, Blogless Kimm, for another junkin' jaunt! Can't wait!!!

*Peace!

11 comments:

Margaret said...

Nice haul! Nice to have the inside line on employees at stores. lol!

Tolentreasures said...

Great haul, what in the world are you going to do with the billiard balls? This weekend is town yard sales and a trip to the flea market with my daughters, I can't wait, it has been too long, I need a fix!

Cathy

Laurie in Iowa said...

Woo hoo... great haul. It's so nice that you have a G-Willy's employee in your court assisting in your thrift shop scores. lol
It's just not happening for me in our local Goodwill and Thrift Depot. I think Iowans are too thrifty to leave treasures at the charity shops. I have found some not so thrifty finds at the antique shops and malls. I need to remember to post some snaps on my blog.

Cari-in-VA said...

WOW, Kim! What a great week you had. I am envious of the billiard balls and those jars! I just love blue jars and I have several with lids - they take up space in my cabinets as I have run out of ideas of what to do with them, but they are just so irrisistible.

Catherine said...

Wow! Great stuff again!

I love those white bowls and the blue jars!! I have some of my grandmothers old jars - some I actually use to store my bulk spices in - others I have just sitting in a window -love how the light plays through the blue and others I have things like marbles in - the light looks great shining through those!

Cari said...

Nice haul Kim.... My personal favorite was the glass paperweight until I saw the Mason jars!! I store my buttons in them. If they don't have a lid I fill to the top and put a small candle jar thingy in the top. Have fun and be sure to take some pics from the baby shower!! Have a GREAT WEEK!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Awesome haul, Kim! Awesome that you have a "helper"! I've seen a guy at our local shop that follows the carts around as they come out - he's kind of creepy though. He comes in with his shirt unbuttoned to his belly button thinking he's "all that" but nope - he's gross and I do not want to get into an altercation with him. Glad you didn't have to fight anyone off for your treasures.

Andrea said...

Such a great haul Kim, you did great! How nice to have an insider to help you out! Back when my mom used to go GW shopping a lot (in another town), she had some ladies that knew what she liked and they would put things back for her. That's so cool!

Deb said...

Good grief woman - you have got to be the queen of thrift shop finds! What a great haul. I just don't find cool things at my thrift places around me!!!

Deb said...

Fantastic collection - good job. My favourites are the big mixing bowls.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Woo hoo! Great day...