Thursday, April 01, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

Well...sadly I haven't had a chance to scour for treasure this week...yet! But I didn't want to NOT have a Thrifty Thursday post..so I thought I would share with you some of my greatest finds.

Now...the items I typically share on my Thrifty Thursday posts are items that I love and have decided to keep and incorporate in to my decor. However...as a rule...I generally try and find at least a few items to 'resell', which offsets the small price paid for the things I keep. And let me tell you...I have found some treasure and made some nice coin!

I wanted to share some with you!

First up....Longaberger...




Paid TWO BUCKS for this set! Sold it for $30+. Not bad! I was giddy when I spied it on the shelf.

Next up....a great old book!



The complete works of Edgar Allen Poe. I LOVED the cover of this book! and glady paid the $1.50 for it. I had intended to keep it...and so started to do some research...



and discovered it was somewhat collectible. I decided to part with it and ended up selling it for about $40! I thought a nice little score!

And then....



a pencil signed and numbered P Buckley Moss print....for $3.99!!!



Now I love P Buckley Moss in general....but not this particular framed print...so I ended up selling it for just under $40.

But my biggest score to date.......an early Sid Dickens tile....



....I spied it on a bottom shelf at the local Y's Buys store. My hands were shaking because I knew this was a money maker! And when I turned it over and it was marked SEVENTY NINE CENTS...well I was ecstatic!!! Seventy-nine cents. These are great collectible tiles...I love them and would love to have a collection of a few myself, but this one..eh...not very appealing. I want to collect tiles that have meaning...or color even! So I came right home....and put it on ebay...for a Buy It Now of $150 and someone bought it within the first two minutes! Now...I probably ended up shorting myself out of quite the profit, these early tiles go for quite a bit of money, but the way I look at it...I made $149.21 off of it and someone else was absolutely ecstatic to get an early tile for $150 instead of $250-$350! So it was a win-win! I do believe in Karma...so it's all good!

Now granted...these aren't Antiques Roadshow style profits....but it's fun for me! I love finding something that makes quite a few bucks. I'm basically bankrolling my treasure hunts and the occasional skein of yarn thru my junkin' jaunts!

What's the best thing YOU'VE found on your treasure hunts?

*Peace!

17 comments:

Dianne said...

Wow! Great finds! I gotta say...I'm sorta jealous of that Longaberger basket...

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow Kim, you certainly have a good eye. What an amazing turnover.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Very impressive, Kwiltykim!!! I never heard of that tile artist and would never have known what it was! Longaberger is made here in Ohio so that rings a bell and the Poe book is beautiful all on it's own!! You have a great eye! I go to the thrift stores and all I see is junk!! I'm gonna look closer next time!

Margaret said...

Wow! You're good! I don't have the kind of knowledge to know what's a good thing to buy and then turn around and sell. Plus which selling on ebay -- the idea freaks me out! lol! One of these days maybe....

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Awesome finds, Kim! I just found a LB basket with liner, lid and protector at my SA this week, too. I have a ton of them 'cause I sold them way back then so I don't need it. But, I'm going to use it to make a sewing basket for our guild auction next year. Like yours, it was in perfect condition - only mine was $8.

Love the tile - dumb me, never heard of them - I'm going to look them up. You done good, girl!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Woo hoo... YGG... I'm glad you're making some scores. You have to know what you're doing though... the only thing I recognized as having some value was the Longaberger basket.

Deb said...

Way to go Kim! Those are all great finds and great return on your investments. I don't know anything about thrifty things. I just buy what I like and don't even know their worth! I think that I need to brush up on my shopping!

Paula C. said...

That's amazing! I wouldn't have a clue about anything but maybe the book and the Longaberger basket.

Littlebit said...

OMG..that's wonderful, KK!!! YGG! MM

Cari-in-VA said...

How fun! You do have a good eye!

When I was single and broke, I purchased some really ugly silverware (stainless) at a yard sale - which allowed me to have a matching set of four plus some odds and ends pieces for $20. After getting married and receiving a wonderful set of silverware, I put the pieces on ebay and the four teaspoons sold for $100+. I was ecstatic. I had no idea that they were worth anything - I mean they were really plain and ugly! I recently found a couple of add'l pieces tucked away in a drawer and plan to list them on ebay soon.

Thanks for sharing your great finds with all of us - I always enjoy checking in on Thursday to see what you have come up with.

Enjoy your weekend.

Carol said...

I love hearing your tales of finding great bargains and then re-selling them, Kim! Good for you!! I'm afraid I would have no idea of what would be valuable to re-sell and what wouldn't...

Catherine said...

Wow! You go girl!

Stef said...

Kim!!! You ARE the Queen of Thrifting!!!!!

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Woo hoo! A girl's gotta fund her thrills; right? You do a fantastic job of it!

Jan said...

I award you 'Queen' of thrifting, Kimmie! I would have never known what that tile was, let alone it's value!

I spied a couple of antique places south of here, on a drive with the kids last week. I plan to pay them a visit just as soon as I can! Maybe you can be on speed dial, so I can call you for advise????

mac said...

The Poe book was, indeed, a find. I would love to have such a thing.

My heart goes pitter-pat for poetry, even the dark stuff from him :-)

Sadly, every thing I try to write turns into a profanity laced thing not even fit for a birdcage bottom pooh catcher...but I digress.

You are good at thrifting!

Debra Svedberg said...

I think you're my Goddess!!!