Sunday, April 11, 2010

Colors of Nature

It's been a leisurely Sunday...I've spent most of the day working on the 1814 Butterfly Collection sampler....



Blue Butterflies.....which we already established, are really out there!

Today was Day 2 of Spring Turkey season here in South Dakota. The hubs decided this year he would try his hand at turkey hunting.

He got his bird. A giant 26 pounder. He is so proud. I will spare you the pics of the poor old bird...and his turkey. LOL ;o) But let me say...this was a magnificent bird.

I had never seen a wild turkey up close before. The COLOR on this bird was just amazing. I had to snap some pics...



The irridescent feathers were just gorgeous...



These pics don't do the shimmer justice.



And there was a graphic nature to them as well with the black and white...



His head was the most wonderful teal/blue/purple color.



And that tied in to the blue/purple sheen that was in a lot of his feathers...



Gorgeous! Nature never disappoints with color inspiration!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

I like your 1814 Butterfly Collection better than the turkey. lol! Ugh! Hunting! Blurgh! :D

M.T. Pocketts said...

We've occasionally had wild turkeys fly over us on our usual walking route (in the country)...it always really surprised the dogs!

Carol said...

Love those blue butterlies, Kim! Your stitching is beautiful... We saw a "wild" turkey at the zoo last week up close and I agree, the colors were amazing!

Cari-in-VA said...

I agree with Margaret, lol! They are much more beautiful and vibrant than that ole turkey, but congrats to your husband, I am sure he was ecstatic.

Enjoy your week.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats to the hub on his wild turkey score. Was this shotgun or bow hunting? Anytime I'm traveling on the gravel roads there is usually a turkey or two on the edge of the road. They are magnificent birds... and very canny too.
Your butterfly sampler is looking fabulous.

Deb said...

Your Butterfly Collection is looking great Kim - I just love those colors.

And kudos to your DH for getting his turkey. I've never seen one up close - we have them running around all over here - in fact I almost hit one the other day - but seeing them from a distance doesn't show the beautiful colors. Who would have known!!

Hope you're having a craft day today!!

woolwoman said...

I love seeing the wild turkeys - you see them quite often down towards my parents lake place. Your butterfly collection piece is exquisite Kim. thanks also for giving me the info to find the correct name of my Brannock and Patek fabric for Mrs Waddelows - Looking Back - someone got quite upset I did not know the correct name - EGADS - I prefaced with "I'm not a quilter" - just a lover of all beautiful fabrics! Cheers! Melody

Katrina said...

Love the Butterfly Collection piece :-).

Kim said...

No problem, Melody! Geez! Some people's kids! ;o) I just read the comment. Good grief!!

Catherine said...

The Butterfly Collection is really looking great!

Congrats to hubby on his turkey!