Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thrifty Thursday!

LIVE from DALLAS....it's THRIFTY THURSDAY!!!

Did you think I'd forget this week? Heck no! Today was spent in a couple thrift stores, and a couple 'antique' malls. It's very hard for me, now, to buy anything in 'antique malls' because I so many times see these things in the thrift stores for pennies on the dollar!

So most of MY money was spent at Goodwill and Salvation Army in and around Carrollton, Texas!



I loved this piece of china from Japan...marked 1966 Japan...it's just white..with some silver on the handles...



a lovely shallow dish, I thought it would make a nice planter! And it was 2.99. Here it sits atop a Wilton Armetale platter I picked up for 3.99!



And then I picked this up for 5.99...forgive the blurry pic...

YAY! Will it house dominos? or marbles? I haven't decided yet, but it is exactly the type of container I was looking for! You might remember earlier that I picked up a lidded jar thinking I would put Scrabble tiles or marbles in it, but it ended up housing tomato pin cushions in the sewing room...I just didn't like the look of it for these game piece displays I have in my head. But this one fits the bill!

Some more things from thrift stores today....

I loved this measuring cup for .59



and this handthrown handpainted sunflower plate for .79



And my splurge of the day...at an 'antique mall'. I LOVE the North Dallas Antique Mall...it's three floors of treasure hunting! With not the run of the mill 'country' type antiques...but worldy items...from all over! And lots of booths with SALES!

This came from one such booth.....it was calling out to me before I even realized everything in the booth was 50% off! So when I simultaneously saw the tag for $35 AND the 50% off sign...well it didn't take me long to do the math and know that this lion on wheels from Indonesia was coming home withe me!



How flippin' fun is that! $17.50 for a colorful, fun lion to come home with me, a fellow colorful and fun Leo!



See you later with tales from the Dallas Quilt Celebration!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Nice! My faves are the pretty white bowl from Japan -- and that great lion thingie! So colorful! Love it! Got the big, heavy, you know what today. Love it!!! I'm so happy! :D

T. Whitesell said...

Love seeing all of your finds...great ones this week.

Catherine said...

Once again - great finds! I love the measuring cup and the lion!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

What great finds, Kim! I love the lion (one Leo to another)! I have become so addicted to GW shopping!

Deb said...

Once again, you've found some great finds. Now I know that I need to move to Texas just so that I can find some goodies! Hope you take lots of pictures at the Quilt Celebration.

Stef said...

You always have the greatest finds!!! I love the measuring cup and the lion is just too cute!!!

Michelle said...

Love the lion!! How sweet. And the idea of putting scrabble tiles or dominos or marbles in a lidded jar is awesome!

audrey enloe said...

KIM KIM KIM!!!! I WISH I would have known you were here!! I could have met you just to say hello!!!!! OMG! how long are you going to be in Dallas for?!!?!?!?!?!?!!? Lemme know asap!!!! Audrey

Myra said...

Great finds! I love the Lion too. :o)

Paula C. said...

I also meant to say that I like the glass measuring cup the best =)