Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Scraps of Life

This was my most favorite quilt in the show....and of course, it was a scrap quilt!



It caught my eye from across Market Hall and I couldn't wait to get over there to see it up close. It is stunning. It was made by Helen Widener of Irving, TX and is a repro of a quilt in The Alamo made by Davey Crockett's wife, Elizabeth.



I LOVED it! So imagine my elation when I found this in a vendor booth!



It seems this was Helen's first quilt, according to the gal in the vendor booth, and a book was made all about the quilt, the fabrics etc. I was thrilled!!! There is a ton of fabric history in the book, as well as historical info on Elizabeth Crockett, and step by step instructions for making this fabulous quilt!



Another reason to collect even more repro fabrics!



I just really loved this quilt!



My best of show!

More quilt pics coming soon!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow! How cool is that! It's so great that you got to see the quilt and then find the book about it as well! Methinks you need a ton more repro fabric. :D

Laurie in Iowa said...

The quilt is fabulous. So, have you started your quilt yet?

Michelle said...

Oh it's lovely! I wish I'd seen it in person. And how fabulous you found a pattern too! Love it!

Loraine said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful time! Love this quilt. so intricate looking. Love your fabric choices you have been buying too!
Have fun.

Melissa said...

Wow, that is a stunning quilt! Look at all those itty bitty little squares! I'm just thinking of all those seams!

That's great that you could get the book and an excuse for more repro fabrics! Have fun!

Jan said...

Kim, this is a beautiful quilt. I'm glad you were able to get the pattern. It was meant to be! ;) Now you'll have to search for the perfect prints for it. How fun, LOVE new projects!!!

Catherine said...

Eye catching! Wish I had one of those!

Deb said...

I love that quilt too Kim!!! Now I'm going to have to go on the hunt for that book! Dang you!!! LOL Sounds like you're having a wonderful time and can't wait to see more pics!

Cari said...

WOW - Awesome!! And the fabrics you've been picking up on this adventure are way too fun!! Hugs

Paulette said...

Oh my gosh, STUNNING quilt! Amazing! I know this may sound blasphemous, considering the history of it, but I'd love that quilt in reds and ecrus!

Paulette