Monday, February 15, 2010

Scones For Your Afternoon Tea?

Yesterday I baked one of my most favorite little treats....Cranberry-Orange Scones....



oh yeah...with a buttermilk glaze. These are quite scrumptious! I am all about full disclosure and giving credit where credit is due...I got this recipe years ago from Cleo...owner of a local quilt shop here in town. She fixed these for a sewing bash...and I was in love! Have you ever noticed that quilt shops are great places to get yummy recipes?

So I thought I would share the recipe this morning so you can run out and get the things you might need to whip these up to enjoy with your afternoon tea!

Here's what you'll need:

1 3/4 C flour
1/4 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C butter
1/2 C dried cranberries (I use Craisins)
1/2 C vanilla chips
1 tsp dried orange peel
1/2 C vanilla yogurt
1/3 C buttermilk

and the glaze:

2 T buttermilk
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp dried orange peel

Heat oven to 375F. Grease cookie sheet (I use a round Pampered Chef stone, so I don't grease anything)

In large bowl..combine first five ingredients. Then cut in the butter with a pastry blender or a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.



Stir in the cranberries, vanilla chips and 1 tsp dried orange peel. Add yogurt and the 1/3 C buttermilk and stir just until moistened.

Shape into a ball and place on the cookie sheet/baking stone. Pat into an 8 to 10" round. If it's sticky, just dust a little flour over the surface to make it easy to pat out.

Now...with a pizza cutter or knife, cut into squares, but don't separate. Just make the cuts. It'll look something like this...



Okay..take the 2 T of buttermilk and brush the top of this dough...use all of it! It's so worth it! Then combine the 1 T of sugar and the 1/2 tsp of orange peel and sprinkle over the top.



Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges begin to turn a golden brown.

Now here's the hard part...let them cool. For 5 minutes. It's just 5 minutes...you can do this! LOL

Then run your pizza cutter or knife back over the cuts you made previously and you're good to go!



They're not biscuit-y like what you might think scones would be. These are light and moist and chewy and oh my GOSH I hope you like them!

They're always a hit around here..as evidenced by the Jakester and his buddy...



Hope you enjoy them if you give them a try!

*Peace!

14 comments:

Dianne said...

yum! I've got the coffee on...

T. Whitesell said...

These sound yummy!! I'm off to run errands in a little while, think I'll make a run by the store:). Thanks for sharing!!

Paulette said...

Oh MAN I want to make these scones! I have everything but the vanilla chips. Ugh!!

Paulette

Margaret said...

Sounds so delicious! I'm not good at baking though -- I always end up burning things. So it's poking the hubs again. lol! I'm off to print the recipe. Thanks!

woolwoman said...

Thanks Kim - I love scones - I've never heard of vanilla chips - I'll have to check those out.
thanks for sharing - Mel

Catherine said...

Looks like I'll have to go to the store today!!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Can I just have some of yours? A baker, I'm not....

Cari-in-VA said...

Kim, those scones look amazing - it's snowing here and my manager just informed me I could go home early. So, thanks to you, I think I have my afternoon project planned, just need to stop at the grocery store.

Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Oh yum!!! I'm writing down that recipe now!

Deb said...

I am so glad that you posted the recipe Kim. I'm a huge, huge fan of scones - my kids too! I'll have to whip up a batch this week!!

Cynthia said...

You scones look delightful. I just made some cranberry orange scones for my garden club...a similar recipe but I used frozen fresh cranberries, coarsly chopped and it is such a wonderful tart contrast.

Mos Los Vagabondos said...

Thanks for the recipe and a big thanks for the Old Fashioned Fudge Pie you posted about awhile back. It is now one of our favorites!

Cari said...

Yummy Kim - my sisters are coming for a visit in March and I'll be serving these scones for breakfast one morning!! Thanks for sharing... mmmmm

Janet Hartje said...

MMMMMmmmmm! I can smell them from here!