Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Road To Atlantis

This morning I finished piecing daughter's quilt....all 90 by 90 inches of it. I'm fondly calling it Road To Atlantis.



It uses the Odyssea fabric line (thus the Atlantis reference)...and is a take on the Yellow Brick Road pattern (yeah..that's the Road part). It was truly supposed to be a Yellow Brick Road quilt....but inattentive me....sewing banshee...just tooling along sewing strips...and not paying attention to the INSTRUCTIONS and so rather than rip stuff out, I just improvised and really...Yellow Brick Road...Road To Atlantis...it's pretty much the same look.

And it's done! Just what the daughter wanted...and now it's ready to go off to longarm quilter.

I'm not really a 'make a quilt from just one fabric line' kinda quilter...so it's always somewhat of a struggle piecing a quilt that's made up of just one fabric line. I love mixing stuff up and going way scrappy! So I'm excited to get started on something new! Tomorrow I'll play around in the sewing room and see what's next! I'm thinking it's going to be something civil war related! Go figure!

It's been a busy Saturday! I've just brewed a pot of coffee, and poured a cup. Going to pick up a needle now and work on some stitching while I watch the Olympics! Go Team USA!!

Have a wonderful Saturday evening, and as always, thanks so much for stopping by!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Cari said...

Beautiful quilt top Kim!! I love naming my quilts too!! You go girl...although I don't think you need much encouragement! LOL Enjoy the Olympic stitching time..I certainly do!! Have a great 'rest of the weekend'. Hugs

Nancy said...

The same thing happened to me. I took a stack of FQ's to retreat to make a YBR for my son-in-law. Um...I must have been talking too much as I started at step C instead of step A... I did the same. Just went with it...and he loved it.

I called mine Yellow Brick Dead End...LOL

Laurie in Iowa said...

Looks great Kim... I'm sure your daughter is going to love her new quilt.

Cari-in-VA said...

Kim, your quilt is beautiful. I'm sure your daughter will be ecstatic to receive it.

It sounds like you are having a great weekend which it sounded like you needed. Can't wait to see what you whip up with the needle and thred.

Margaret said...

Well even if you don't like using just one fabric line in a quilt, I think this one was totally successful. Very pretty! I bet your DD will love it! Can't wait to see the next project! Now, I wonder if I'll be awake to see the final with Apollo Ohno......

Paulette said...

LOVE that quilt! Great job! Can't wait to see how your Civil War one turns out!

Paulette

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

That is something, Kim! I can't imagine doing something like that. Your DD will love it!!

Deb said...

I love the quilt Kim! So colorful! Aren't you glad that it's finished and it's a biggie too! I have to agree with you on the one fabric line - it's a little confining isn't it. I found that on mine and I kept digging in stash for some some extra! It sounds like you're having a productive weekend! Hope you get a lot of stitching done! And now, what quilt are you going to make next?? :o)

Catherine said...

Stunning! I have a seen a few beautiful quilts on my blogging journeys this morning and it's making me want to learn!

Siobhan said...

WOW!! What a gorgeous quilt top! I can't wait to see it all quilted up. Great job.