Saturday, January 16, 2010

Saturday Happenings in the Sewing Room

I've been a busy little bee today! In and out of the sewing room! The weather was fabbo today....mid to high 30s I believe! It felt like spring! I had to run some errands and the pups and I were driving around with the windows down! Aaaaah...felt like 50s. We've had such bitter cold! Today was a 50 degree swing in the temps for us! It was great!

I was out and about doing typical Saturday errands. But once done...down to the sewing room I went! I have things to do!

I bought myself a new present...



a new iron! The Oliso iron! That lifts itself up off of the ironing board. And it's a bright sunny yellow! I also picked up a new ironing board cover to spruce things up downstairs a bit...



Groovy huh? I think it says SPRING and SUNSHINE!

I got down to business and finally figured out something creative to do with the round robin block I was given. We're exchanging on Wednesday. I work well under pressure apparently. Waiting until the last minute was not my plan, but that's how it worked out. Unfortunately, other round robin participants have been known to stop by my blog, so this is all I can show you...



I am really pondering where to go next with the Sun Star blocks. I know I said I had decided on a 3 x 4 straight set...which is similar to a little Carole Hopkins quilt I saw with the same block (only smaller)...but with sashing and border, that would be a 55 x 67 quilt. If you remember, this is the pattern I began with...



I could easily make 4 more blocks...and set it like the pattern and make a larger quilt. I don't particularly care for the LIGHT setting blocks in the pattern...and love this pewter print from the Indigo Pewter & Honey line.



What do you think? Would love to hear suggestions. This would make it a very very dark quilt. Which I don't mind....I think the 'honey' parts will really pop then. I suppose I should do a little online window shopping and see what yardage is out there from the line.

I could use this as well, which I didn't use in any of the blocks because it was so light.



I think it might work nicely in not making the setting blocks TOO light, but yet give a little light to the quilt and movement to the eye. What do you think? I welcome your comments and suggestions on the setting of these blocks!

For now...I'm getting ready to fix a little dinner, crack open a bottle of wine and pick up my knitting needles. I'll watch football and be entertained by these guys.



A great Saturday night in store!! Hope yours is as well!

*Peace!

8 comments:

Beth said...

I love those blocks! I have some of that fabric in a kit but I'm not wild about the pattern but I *love* the fabric, so I had to go find this pattern! I wonder if I have enough to make this quilt, I bet you I might!

Deb said...

That's a cool iron! I've never seen that before - does it really lift itself up.? Could come in handy for me who, on occasion, leaves the iron on the board! I think I like the lighter fabric for setting the blocks in, but then again...... I'm still waiting for my fabric to arrive. It is gorgeous fabric and I ordered it all because of you!

Hope you get a lot of knitting done tonight!!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Let us know what you think of your new iron... and your new board cover is very cheerful.

Margaret said...

Cool iron!!!! As for your star blocks, well, I'm going to send you a picture. So just wait. :D Have fun knitting! I need me some best prest.....

Glenna said...

Where did you get the iron? I am a total iron freak--I actually enjoy ironing, plus since I sew, I know how important it is. Mine is ready to bite the dust, so please share, since I was going to treat myself to a Rowenta, and now maybe I won't...also love the ironing board cover.

Lindah said...

Oh, yes, either of those fabrics would be a big improvement over the white setting. It will be interesting to see what else you might find in that line in your search. I really like those blocks.
I will be interested in hearing how you like your iron, on down the road. A good iron is hard to find.
Looking forward to the reveal of your round robin.
Happy sewing!

Siobhan said...

I vote for the second fabric, but then I would go more for the lighter colors. I think the blocks are B-E-A-Utiful! I can't wait to see the great reveal on the RR blocks.

Cari said...

What a great new iron - love the sunny color and your new ironing board cover is so cheerful. They'd make me want to iron everything in the closet.

I like the pewter color fabric - but I am no expert at all. Can't wait to see what you decide to do.

Enjoy your Sunday.