Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Needlin' Along...

I've been resting the foot after the pedal to the metal sewing sessions this past weekend. And I've been spending some time with my needles!

A lovely group of stitcher friends decided that we would start a Quaker Sampler on Fridays. A Quaker Friday Stitch Along. I am no good at Stitch Alongs (SALs). The pressure gets to me....I become defiant...I do not play well with others in SALs. I do not like being "told" what I'm going to work on and when I'm going to work on it. But hey....I can get along with "Hey it's Friday. Let's put a few stitches in a Quaker sampler of your choice." So...I decided to start another sampler.

I know, I know. It's so not like me! AAAACK! I don't like to have too many samplers started at one time. Even though they're all sitting here...kitted up...waiting for some needle time. So in this new year, I'm going to just go with it! As my dear friend, Marsha, said to me...what difference does it make if they're ALL started instead of sitting there waiting, and then we just work on whatever we feel like whenever we feel like it (or something like that. That wasn't verbatim, but that was the gist of the 'convo' we had!).

So...I chose a Quaker sampler to begin...an Ackworth Sampler. And I pulled my own conversion using Hand-Dyed Fiber silks



and last Friday, I picked up my needle and started a Quaker. Now...these motifs may seem like you can just whip them right out. HA! So not true!



I worked on the sampler on Sunday during football...and then again last night. I have one motif done and another one started.



I'm glad there's no deadline on this Quaker Friday SAL. And for those concerned about garish Sarah Brignell...she has been tucked away for a bit. I haven't taken scissors to her or anything.....yet. I'm just going to let her rest..out of sight...for just a bit. ALL of the over one lettering she requires makes me think I may not ever endure the torture long enough to actually complete her. We shall see. Did I say she was my New Year's start? Ahem...I meant New DECADE start...which means I have the entire DECADE to work on her! My kinda deadline! ;o)

In other needlin' news......you may remember I've been using some yummy Debbie Bliss Cashmerino to make my Mossy Mossy scarf...



and here's my progress...



AAAAACK! I lost my place on the pattern!! I tried to unknit to fix it....but who the heck am I kidding! I could unknit many rows and still not know which row is on the needles compared to the pattern!! So....I just yanked it tonight. Right off the needles. I shall start anew. Had I been farther along, I wouldn't have resorted to the needle-yank...I would have traipsed in to the knit shop, tail between my legs, and asked them, with my head hanging low, if they could please help me fix my mess. But instead, I opted for needle-yank...and I'm okay with it. Looks like a pile of red ramen noodles...no?

Note to self...do NOT knit MossyMossy patterned scarf while watching TV or talking to people until you truly know what you are doing. AND remember to mark your spot on the pattern with the little sticky arrows so this doesn't happen again! Okay? Okay...start over now!

*Peace!

18 comments:

Deb said...

Oh dear - looks like red spaghetti. Think of it this way - you get twice the pleasure of knitting for the same cost......

Love the Quaker - haven't touched mine for ages. You know what happens when you get to the border (just like a quilt) you think" Hey this won't take long I'm up to the border" and it actually takes twice as long as the middle. There's maths in there somewhere - it's everywhere.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

It does look like red, ramen noodles! It'll be gorgeous when done though and sounds like you've learned a couple of valuable lessons.

Your new quaker start is beautiful - I love the colors you chose.

Nicole said...

Great start on Martha Kim! I love that sampler - it's so pretty! I'm so sorry about the scarf. Love Debbie Bliss though - at least it's soft ramen! :)

Deb said...

That yard definitely looks like ramen noodles. That is a beautiful color though, but I do hear you on the sticky arrows, etc. for keeping ones place!

Love your Quaker start for the decade! I really like your way of thinking. I have gone back and forth on starting on one of those as I've got some of those patterns, but I hate having another start. But, yet after reading the comment from your friend, I'm starting to think, Why Not? Lord help me! LOL

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

You're funny ~ I would love to knit but don't think it would work for me ~ I would have done anything to make that pattern work as it was!!

Margaret said...

Lovely! Isn't it true how those Quaker motifs are so deceiving? You think you'll whip them out so quickly, but no, they take forever! lol! Love your colors though! And your scarf -- agh! Thank goodness you weren't that far along! I hate when that sort of thing happens! Hope the second time goes better -- such a pretty red!

Laurie in Iowa said...

The red pile of kinky yarn looks good enough to eat.
Woo hoo... so glad you've joined in on the Quaker Friday team... just don't let Katrina know that you're stitching on that Quaker on days other than Friday. She's a stickler for rules.
I hope you have better luck than I do in remembering to stitch your Quaker on Friday... last Friday just blew right by with nary a stitch on my Ann Trump.

Loraine said...

I love your Quaker start! It will be so pretty in your silks. What brand are you using? Yummy colors!
I'm sure the scarf will turn our gorgeous, but don't you just hate unraveling? That's as bad as unpicking! (Which I have a PHD in.)
Good Luck on the redo .
Did Deb mention that we are going to do sort of an unofficial "Dear Jane" SAL? I'm excited to start this amazing quilt. Although I doubt I will recreate it exactly like the original. I'm thinking wall hanging size.
Take Care, looking forward to chatting more!

Cari said...

Kim - you're so funny...it does look like red ramen noodles!! LOL I just unraveled an almost complete hat because I screwed up...whatever... It's just time and I've got plenty of that. Have a great week!!

Cari said...

Oh my, what a pile of red, beautiful red! You'll be an expert at it after this second time 'round.

I keep hearing everyone talk about Quaker Friday - I may just have to join in on this one. It will be a good excuse to begin Mary Wigham.

Enjoy your day!

Valerie said...

Great start to your Quaker! The colors are lovely. I am the worst at mess-ups while watching TV or talking to people. I ALWAYS find a mistake and I ALWAYS have to fix it. But somehow I just keep watching TV and talking...Don't think you are alone! Good luck with the re-start!

Paulette said...

LOL - red ramen! I have that (Fine Young Canibals?) song in my head, "Red, Red Wine," but now it's "Red, red, Raaaaa-men." LOL

Great photos! Great post! :) You're one busy lady, as always. ;)

Paulette

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Hum...didn't realize Marsha Brady was a Quaker (tee hee)! Nice colors - love those hdfs. Yes, it does look like red ramen. A very novice knitter, here, and that happens when I'm not talking or watching TV!

Littlebit said...

KK..Love the color you chose for your Quaker and look forward to watching your progress! What pretty ramen noodles, too. :-)

woolwoman said...

Hi Kim - even on the simplest of knitting patterns - I put a sticky note and mark each row as I finish it - that way when I put it down for 5 mos and pick it up again I might have a chance of being able to continue on with it. This works for simple or more complex patterns - give it a try - Love DB yarns! OK - I'm hearing WAY too much about Quaker Fridays - I have so many started it's ridculous but I live by your friends theory - "why not start that - it's just sitting there" - Enjoy your needlin' - Melody

Catherine said...

Great....thanks to Paulette's comment I now have "Red, red, wine" in my head! The only way I know to get it out is to go have a glass!

Love your colors on your stitching and your scarf - don't let it get the best of you!

alobsiger said...

Hee hee, I'm chuckling over the reality of the sampler. I've been eyeing those beautiful Quaker samplers for more than a year -- too scared to start. I look at the motifs and thought the same thing: how long could one motif take?!? Ha! Some day...some decade... :-)

Siobhan said...

I love Marsha's words of wisdom. Great way of thinking! I'm glad you decided to jump in and get started, I need to work more on mine. I'm not great at SALs, either, but eventually I do usually get the sampler done. Well, or at least keep working on it. LOL Love the knitting!