Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dirty Little Secret

Do you ever have a couple pounds of ground beef in the frig that needs to be used up, but you're sick of hamburgers, not in the mood for meatloaf, and the thought of Hamburger Helper just doesn't do it for you?

It happens to me all the time. And I usually turn to a box of good ol' Zataran's Dirty Rice.

Well, I had 2 lbs of ground chuck that needed to be used yesterday. But was not very keen on heading to the grocery store. And then I discovered how flippin' easy it is to make my OWN dirty rice!!



Brown 2 lbs ground chuck.

Do not drain!

Add:
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 or 3 stalks of celery (finely chopped)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (minced)

You can also add green bell pepper (finely chopped), but I just didn't have one laying around.

Cook until veggies are tender.

Add:
1/2 C to 3/4 C chicken broth/stock
4 or 5 shakes of Worchestire
4 or 5 (or more) shakes of Louisana Hot Sauce

In the meantime, I cooked 4 cups of white rice.

Once most of the liquid evaporated in the meat mixture, I folded in the rice. For a good hot tasty measure, I did about 5 good shakes from the red pepper flakes shaker. And, since I like mine hot, I used the Louisiana Hot Sauce as a condiment as well and really kicked it up!

Serve with cornbread muffins.....



I may never buy another box of Zatarans again!

*Peace!

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Sorry, don't even know what dirty rice is! lol! That looks awfully good though. Thanks for the tip!

Catherine said...

YUMMY!! Looks really good!

Cari said...

Looks yummy!! You Go Girl!!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I love Zatarains ~ was it really better than that? You really cook a lot ~ your family should be so happy!!! And you with a full time job and a full time quilt-a-holic!!!

Beth said...

That looks really good, and I love me the hot sauce!

TamboinMO said...

OMG! I love, Love, LOVE dirty rice, but rarely make it because my husband doesn't like it and girlfriend I can eat it ALL myself....which I really DON'T need to do.
Having dirty rice jealousy here!