Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thrifty Thursday

It's time, again, for another installment of Thrifty Thursday!

One main thrifty outing this past week...but oh BOY what an outing it was! I hit up the Goodwill on the east side of town, one I don't get to very often. There were all sorts of goodies waiting for me! ;o)

First up, three Homer Laughlin bone dishes......



Just lovely with all their crazing! I loved dishes that have crazing!! One of these weeks I'll show you some of my dishes! These little bone dishes are great for holding a spool of thread, your rings or necklaces at the end of the day, etc. Just so many uses for them! And I will admit this is the first time I've found them at Goodwill! $1 each for these! I wish you could see the crazing!

Next up.....some HEAVY finds! A green alabaster mushroom from Italy ($3)...and a gorgeous with a capital G red marble or alabaster apple ($2)!



Both are extremely weighty! And they are sitting inside of a hammered silverplate bowl ($2) I picked up! Fun fun fun pieces!!

As I wandered past the long seemlessly neverending tables of Christmas things, my eye honed in on THIS and I grabbed it immediately!



A lovely red tin wall sconce from Southern Living at Home! $2! It jumped out at me because I have just one of these already and wished I had a pair! Good reason to check out the Christmas tables...sometimes they just throw anything that's red on the table!

Here's some more lovely pieces I picked up....



Yep..another piece of pottery...this time a funky bowl ($1). AND a beautiful piece of handpainted Nipon dish from Japan. I LOVE that orange! OMGosh how I love that orange! I must have loved it because it was the most expensive piece of the day at $5. But yes...I love it!

What? What's that you ask? Is that a Longaberger basket in the pic? Why yes....yes it IS! And...if the Nipon dish was my big ticket item of the day, then that must mean that I found this lovely rather large Longaberger measure basket for less than $5!!! It's true...



It's about 10" across the top...a nice size! Ahem..now...as I told Paulette, before you hate me...I'm sure you notice those two little words there by the TWO DOLLAR mark...."As Is"...........yeah..........looks lovely....but then you turn it around...



Marker. I grabbed it anyway! I figured worst case scenario I can paint it....though Paulette suggested I try and sand it....and I will try that. Just haven't gotten around to it yet! But OMGosh! A $2 Longaberger basket! I could hardly believe it! Hopefully I can do something about that marker!

So...all in all it wasn't my cheapest outing, but I loved my finds!!! Makes me excited to go out again, but just haven't made it any more this week. If you find yourself with a few spare moments....pop in to one of your local thrift shops---you might be surprised at what you'll find!

And hey...if you spy any more ORANGE hand painted Nipon pieces, let me know! ;o)

*Peace!

p.s. Ssssshhhh...don't tell anyone, and don't judge...but I DID also pick up yet ANOTHER g * l * o * b * e one night after work. It was just SITTING there! And it was BLUE with mountainous regions AND a wooden base! So...it's different than my others and it came home and now my husband thinks I'm actually losing my mind. I didn't think you'd want to see another pic of the world. I spared you from my lunacy....this time. ;o) If you're keeping track....that makes Globe #6 in the collection. Yes...perhaps I am going crazy.......

12 comments:

Margaret said...

You always manage to make great finds! Ok, I have to ask: where do you keep all your thrift finds? :D I have trouble finding places for things even if I don't thrift!

The Scrappy Bee said...

Your thrity thursday blog always makes me laugh. Now you know why I resist as much as possible going to thrift stores, flea markets, etc. There is always an item to treasure that was, unbelieveingly, discarded by someone. Who are these people who don't treasure what they have? =)

Glenna said...

What great finds! Try using hairspray on the marker and then wiping off with cloth or paper towel--drench the marker with the hairspray.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow great finds! Before you sand the basket, try using some Krud Kutter on it. My daughter sprayed it on old dried paint that was on her wood floors, and it came up ;-) Give it a try.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Cari said...

Kim you are just too funny! What great finds - love the bone dishes and the orange nipon is amazing! Oh and the apple, what a beautiful, rich red. SIX Globes - of the same planet? Have you found a place of honor for all these orbs?

You have inspired me and I was visiting my local GW once a week and found some great things but now that I'm immobile, I really miss those thrifty lunch hours. I'll just continue to live vicariously thru your TT's

Catherine said...

What great finds!

Joanie said...

Great finds! Our only thrift store is the Salvation Army...lots of clothing, light on housegoods. You find the most wonderful goodies, and I am jealous of your globes. I have 2 - my globe when I was in grade school and the other one from when my son was in Middle school. I LOVE globes and would have a dozen if I could find them for a reasonable price!

Sylvia said...

Your Thrifty Thurday is one of my favorite posts of yours. Try fine gauge steel wool - it will rub of the marker if it is not soaked in too much.

M.T. Pocketts said...

I hope you'll show us a picture sometime of how you display all your globes! Along the top of a bookcase, perhaps? Or are they multiplying all over the house....global warming!

Deb said...

Another globe???? Oh my goodness! LOL You find the best thrifty finds! I wish my thrifty places had such great things.

Charlene said...

Lovely finds! Try a little vinegar on the marker ... Please let us know what worked best!

Florida Bankruptcy Laws said...

We should be thrifty the week around.