Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thrifty Freezing Thursday

It is faREEEEEZING here in South Dakota this week. Monday was cold. Tuesday it snowed most all day and into the night and we ended up with about 7" of lovely very fluffy snow on the ground. The problem came with the WIND! BITTER cold WIND! and lots of it! Blizzard conditions thru the night and into the morning on Wednesday. Can you say -22 Wind Chill? Brrrrrr! That was my yesterday! It was all I could do to walk across the parking lot from my Santa Fe to the office building. So you might imagine that I wasn't out gallavanting around looking for thrifty things this week. Quite the contrary. I was hibernating!

BUT....knowing that it was Wednesday, and a Thrifty Thursday post was next up...for you, dear readers, I sacrificed my warmth and coziness and ventured out after work yesterday in search of possible Thrifty Thursday finds. I only went to one store and came home with a few finds!

First find, not photographed because boring, was a lovely wooden drying rack for the laundry room for 1.99. I've been needing one..and, well, there it was so I brought it home.

Then...yep............



I tried. I walked away....I backed the cart up...I studied it again...it was lovely...it has the raised mountainous regions! It was straight on it's axis....I could not pass up the $5.99 globe. I am in need of therapy. Also in the pic there, you'll notice a bundle of colorful rulers. These were all bundled together for $.99 so I grabbed them. I've seen many cool projects being done with rulers....figured I best grab then when I see them and then when the creative urge hits...I'll have a great assortment!

Not a very exciting Thrifty Thursday, but hey....did I mention it's faREEEEZING outside?

I was warmed by the sight of a box from Moda Fabrics when I got home. Thank goodness the UPS guy ventures out every day regardless of the temps!

Aaaaaah.....civil war fabrics!



So excited to see Civil War Homefront by Barbara Brackman when I opened the box! I've got four bundles remaining....$89.99, which includes US shipping.
The colors are yummy...the prints very civil-war.....a winning line again! Thank you Barbara Brackman!

I hope you're staying warm and dry wherever you are! I'm hopeful this weather will break and then I'll have some ground to make up for thrifting! It is, however, December......in South Dakota........so I may just have to suck it up, bundle up, and make up for lost thrifting time!

*Peace!

9 comments:

Deb said...

Kim you sure are intrepid! And I agree the raised mountainous regions are a must. Love your quilts too - I bet you are using them all right now!
Stay warm!

Kathie said...

oh that fabric line looks wonderful
I remember having a globe like that when I was younger
wonder where that went!

Margaret said...

I think you're crazy to go thrifting when there's a wind chill of -22 outside! Nice finds though -- I think your globe collection is fabulous! Those Civil War fabrics -- time to drool! (I'm being good now, or at least trying to!)

Jackie said...

It's nice to come home to a bundle of fabric!

Send some of that weather this way! I'd love a couple of snow days but impossible here in Florida!

Deb said...

Oh, am I tempted by that fabric line! I love civil war prints (I must be good she says to herself). I can't believe you ventured out in all the cold and snow but I know how it is to be a diehard shopper! LOL Love the globe and the rulers too!

Laurie in Iowa said...

I love the globes you've been acquiring on your thrifty shopping adventures.

Did you have to send the cold, snow and wind chills to Iowa???

It's pathetic when we think any day about zero is a warm winter day.

Siobhan said...

Love the thrifty finds! The fabrics--fantastic! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Cari said...

I love your globes...I could look at maps for hours upon end. Stay warm....and cozy! I'm getting all warm and fuzzy myself just thinking about your beautiful new Moda fabrics!! Hugs and Happy Holidays!

Tins and Treasures said...

So...where in South Dakota are you? I'm here in Aberdeen...and yes, it is cold for December, isn't it? I think the high tomorrow is supposed to be 3 below...

Have a wonderful holiday season. ~Natalie