Sunday, December 06, 2009

In a Bind

Our cozy living room is now even cozier with a tree in it! Mind you, there was some furniture rearranging that took place in order to accommodate a TREE in the living room.....and I found myself in a bind! I had to move my stitching chair...disband my entire little corner of the room. Which means I no longer have my wonderfully enlightening stitching lamp over my right shoulder. And it just won't work with the room configuration to put it there either. So what's a girl to do? No way could I get any sampler stitching done today...it was a pretty gray day outside. No light....no linen counting for me.

So, I decided to concentrate on quilt binding today. High def lighting isn't necessary to do that! And I got TWO quilts bound today!



I'm super excited about this. You might remember I was working on my pinwheel quilt binding yesterday. This is a BIG quilt....91 x 91. Which means not a quick one to bind! But I finished it this morning! And then this afternoon I got the binding done on the scrappy repro American Pie quilt (a Miss Rosie's pattern).

I couldn't wait to run them both thru a rinse cycle and pop them in the dryer so they get all crinkly and old looking! I never pre-wash my fabrics, for this very reason.



I love how puckery they turned out.



And they'll just get softer and more crinkly with every use.



American Pie is the perfect size to snuggle up with on the sofa or in my chair. And I love all the color in it!



So I found myself in a bind, and ended up getting lotsa binding done! I'm almost caught up with quilt binding! Which is a good thing, because I'm going to try and get quite a few quilt tops basted....both for hand quilting and machine quilting, and then I'll have even more binding to do! This month is the perfect time to get it done since I shall not be working on stitching in the evenings between now and Christmas. This 'bind' could prove to be a good thing!

*Peace!

14 comments:

Paulette said...

Great job on the quilts!! Wow.. those puckers are awesome! Man, those are gorgeous blankies! ;)

Paulette

Loraine said...

Fabulous job! I really love your amazing quilts. So fun.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I love that crinkly look and your quilts are sooo nice!!

Love to Stitch said...

Ooh the colors in those quilts are fabulous!! Fun when you try something new and it actually works!! Nice feeling to get your tree up and decorated, thank goodness this is only temporary :)

Jackie said...

You got a lot accomplished! I love the crinkly look too. If I had to wash and press my fabric first, I don't think I'd get any quilts out of it.

Melissa said...

I love the puckers! You've just given me permission to never prewash my fabrics ever again, except for the reds of course.

The quilts are great!

Margaret said...

Oh I love your quilts. Such eye candy! Sigh. I hope you enjoy your enforced binding time. :D

Cari said...

Oh, Kim - what lovely quilts! Congrats on finishing them both. I really like the puckered look!

Catherine said...

How beautiful! I sure could use a quilt like that to snuggle under in the evenings now that it is finally getting colder here! Enjoy!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on getting your bindings sewn. I have 3 waiting in the wings for their binding to be sewn... stitching is always more appealing.
I love getting those finished quilts in the washer and dryer... love the puckery antique look it gives my repro quilts.
I see many more bindings in your future. lol :-)

Littlebit said...

KK, I used to cringe thinking about washing a quilt to get it puckered, until I did Emily's Star..I LOVE PUCKERS! LOL! Beautiful quilts..nice "bind." :) MM

Siobhan said...

I love love love those quilts, Kim!! You go girl. :) I always hated basting & binding my quilts so good for you, making lemonade out of lemons. ;)

Katrina said...

Oh the quilts are so pretty. And you are right the pucker is so nice. Sorry you had to dismantel your stitching corner.

Jan said...

These are both wonderful. I just want to snuggle up with them! American Pie in "old" repros is great. I've only seen it in the 30s fabrics before.