Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tradition in the Air

Can you feel it? Can you smell it? Tradition is in the air! The day before Thanksgiving....aaaah! Heavenly!

Once upon a time I used to watch holiday movies...full of fake families and their wonderful fake get togethers that incorporates the whole extended family in glee and merry making and think how nice it would be to have the same thing. But then I remind myself that it's made UP.....LOL

That being said...the older I get, and the older my kids get, and the more extended my OWN immediate family becomes, I realize that I...am....a matriarch! AAACK! Doesn't that make me sound old? LOL But it's true I suppose! And whether I have realized it or not, all these years I have been setting tradition for my own family. That's a great feeling!

My kids know that the holiday tradition begins with Thanksgiving. Never before Thanksgiving will you spy a Christmas tree, a Christmas decoration or a Christmas card. That is not our tradition. We enjoy ushering in the season by celebrating turkey day....and this year all of the kids will be here...along with some significant others. The house will be full, the dishes will be many, and I'm guessing there will be some glee and merry making....and the occasional argument. LOL That's what comes with family get togethers, and I'm looking forward to it!

After the dishes are cleared and the house has calmed down....I might then entertain the idea of dragging the Christmas tree upstairs...but most likely it happens later in the weekend. Meals of leftovers....packing up abundant turkey to send home with the adult kiddos....and feeling gorged on goodies...that is our tradition for this long weekend!

And it begins tonight.......

Tonight I bake....



pies...



three this year...



I'm looking forward to it! Not only is tradition in the air...but soon the smell of cinnamon and cloves and baking apple....and pecans.....mmmmmm.......I can almost smell it now! It's a great feeling knowing that my kids look back at our holidays and see that as their tradition!

*Peace!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Mmmmmmm, 3 pies! lol! Have a great Thanksgiving! Sounds like you'll have a full house. It's just the family for us, but that tends to include the dd's boyfriend now. Already. For the 2nd year. So I guess we're starting the extended family a bit. Weird thought! Enjoy! And enjoy those pies. Mmmmmmm. I think we're having pumpkin and chocolate. The kids have to have the chocolate pie. :D

Laurie in Iowa said...

I can smell those pies baking... yum! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Littlebit said...

Ditto, KK! I've been up since 6 this morning. It's a diabetic nightmare around our place at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Feeling old? How about this: Audrey--"Mom, do you realize you have no more kids in their twenties?" MM: "Really? Do you realize you have no more parents in their forties?" I have never heard such silence from my youngin. Beats a dirt nap. LoL! Happy Thanksgiving, KK..MM

Deb said...

Hmmmm, it all sounds so good. I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm like you - no Xmas around the house until the turkey day is done!!!

I never get to cook Turkey Day dinner though because my MIL insists on cooking it until she drops over! Less work for me, but I do enjoy cooking!

Have a wonderful day and don't eat too much!!!