Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thrifty Thursday!

Finally over the crud and was able to get out and about to few favorite GWilly's! I managed to pick up just a few things this week.

You know I've said before that I collect orphaned pottery? Yes...it's true...I can't believe someone would cast aside hand signed hand thrown clay! So I rescue it!

Well...I have another mission now apparently......lone widowed salt & pepper shakers....widowed, divorced, left without a mate? Come on home with me! LOL



Isn't it lovely? I searched and searched for the mate but it was not to be found. This is a great piece of Japanese porcelain...Nippon. I love the worn gilding...the birds....so elegant! Yes yes...come on home! You can join my other little friend I picked up a couple weeks ago....Jean Claude....he hails from France....



Okay okay...he doesn't REALLY hail from France, but he does have a blue toile appeal about him...don't you think? He's not marked but was all alone himself. Both have old old old cork in the bottom...and gosh darnit....partner or not, they deserve a home! So...I am opening a home for orphaned elegant S&P shakers! Oh joy! Another thing to collect on my jaunts! At least these are SMALL! And can't you just imagine them arranged on one of my platters?? Aaaah....or perhaps a silver tray...so many options!

Speaking of silver...or..er...silverplate even.....I picked this lovely sugar bowl up this evening



I'm sure it will clean up nicely, but you know what...I love the tarnish! I love tarnished silver! So...it may still show it's age by the time I'm done with it.

And....I was verrrry excited to find THIS



an African Bolga Basket! Hubby was along when I picked this up Monday evening....he looked at me like I was crazy. I explained..."Honey...it's a Bolga basket! I've been watching these on eBay....I've been wanting one to hold yarn by my chair! They're like $40!" But nope...not this one...



I know it looks floppy on one side, but...these just need to be wet down and reshaped! That's on my agenda this week! Reshape the $2 Bolga basket!

Honestly...I am amazed what things I find the GWilly's here in South Dakota! Maybe you can be amazed by finds in your area too! Such fun! Gotta love it!

Hope your week's been a smoooooth one!

*Peace!

6 comments:

The Scrappy Bee said...

I too enjoy browsing as leftovers. I once found a basket 2 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter. Not a special kind, but great for lots on yarn.

Cari said...

You are just too funny - every week, you come up with something new to 'collect'. What a kindhearted soul you are to allow these cute little widows/divorcee to take refuge in your home :-)

Love your basket and that silver sugar bowl is very pretty. And your husband is such a good sport!

I usually stop by our GW once a week - but this week, it has been rain, rain, and more rain thanks to dear Ida the Hurricane - her effect has been far reaching as I am in VA. It has been non-stop since Tuesday evening and they say it will continue thru Saturday - boo hiss. All that to say, I really don't feel like traipsing thru the heavy downpour on my lunch hour, so I have been staying in and stitching this week.

So very glad that you are feeling better! Enjoy your weekend.

J Rae said...

Looks like you found some great stuff!!!

Glad you are feeling better.

Margaret said...

Love your finds as usual! The orphan salt/pepper shakers are so pretty! Another cool collection for you. :D And the basket -- how cool is that for $2! And the silver sugar bowl too -- you are one thrift demon. lol!

Deb said...

I'm amazed at all the things you find on your thrifty trips too. I love your idea of picking up orphaned salt and peper shakers. They don't take up much room and are so decorative. And you won't have to wonder which is salt and pepper because they'll be different!

I love your basket and silver bowl too. My thrifty shop always has some kind of silver pieces needing a good home. I haven't picked up any yet, but I'm sure the bug will bite me at some point!

Deb said...

Very pretty S & P shakers. But I love the basket best. Well done treasure hunter.