Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thirfty Thursday!



I must admit I am liking having this Thrifty Thursday 'column' each week....makes me make a point to stop off at a thrifting jaunt or two or three each week! Like I need prodding! LOL

This week finds me being the new owner of another globe.....this makes number 3.



Don't ask me why. I do not know. The first two I purchased at an elderly lady's garage sale a couple months back....she had a dollar a piece on them...and they weren't horribly old, but I just loved them and bought both. Then this one crossed my path Tuesday evening. It was a bit off it's axis....but having been off my own axis a time or two, I figured it would be an easy fix...and it was. :o) And this one has more features than the other two.....I'm pleased...



Hmmmm...does this mean I collect globes now? EEEEEK! Sssssshhhhh...don't tell the hubby! LOL

I also stumbled upon these great little finds for fifty cents each!



Once upon a time I was watching HGTV when they used to have good home shows on...I believe it was Country at Home or something like that...anyhooo...they showcased a couple's home, and the gentleman inhabitant collected corkscrews!



On our recent trip to Omaha, my friend Kimm and I discussed this episode while discussing what would be cool collections to start....though I've never really seen an old corkscrew on my thrifting adventures...this is the first. And the first of my collection! ;o) Exciting stuff huh? :o)



And the mug! A SAMPLER mug! I thought for certain I would turn it over and there would be a "Made in China" sticker on it.....



I mean...it's a sampler! on a coffee mug! But look...



I think it's rather vintage...don't you think? I had to grab it! I mean...it's a SAMPLER!!

And...speaking of new collections....I also saw a collection in a magazine that I thought was way cool....but of course thought to myself I would NEVER find such things at my GWilly's....but...



Surely it's a sign that I am MEANT to have a collection of these!



Billiard balls!!! Colorful wonderful billiard balls! Several of them are very very old!!! And two BUCKS! I have NEVER seen such things on prior visits. It was meant to be! Another collection in the making! ;o)

It was a fun thrifting week!! What fun and/or odd things do YOU collect? I'd love to hear from you!

*Peace!

13 comments:

Cari said...

Oh Kim - those billard balls are the best - especially the old ones. What a great find!

I too am enjoying your TT column - it's quite fun to see what you find each week. Your sampler mug is such a sweet find and the USA stamp makes it even better :-)

Wow three new collections in one stop - Globes, corkscrews, and billiard balls - is your husband going to cancel your column? :-)

Beth said...

Love the sampler mug! And I have a corkscrew exactly like that one, have no idea where I got it, I have a ton of old stuff that my mom gave me. You'd probably like shopping in my kitchen drawers for stuff!

Linda said...

I absolutely want that mug.....too cool Kim. Isn't it fun to see what others are getting rid of.
I like the billard balls also....you should be able to do something fun with those. Take care

Linda, thepinkeep.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

You are going to have lots of collections! lol! I could easily have millions of them too. I like yours better though -- more eclectic and interesting. I just have things like collections of pottery (specific makers) and dolls and bears and -- ugh, it's too awful to think about! lol!

Catherine G. said...

You always seem to find the neatest things! I love the mug!!!

Gayle said...

I have a collection of pool balls, mixed with croquet balls too! They look great displayed in an old wooden bowl on top of a penny rug on my coffee table - circles galore!

Deb said...

Kim, you always find the neatest things on your thrift adventures. I went out this week and not one thing called my name. It was depressing! LOL Maybe I'll find something next week!

Stef said...

I love reading your "Thirfty Thursday" posts! It's so much fun to see what you have found that week. And the sampler mug is fantastic!

Jan said...

You are such a beloved nut, Kimmie! I love all of your thrift finds, each so unique!! I will swap you somethin' for that sampler mug! lol

KimQuiltz said...

Lucky lucky lucky! It looks to me like your "luck" takes a LOT of hard work, so glad it's paying off. LOVE the mug!

Littlebit said...

Don't you just love it when you find something made in the USA?? LOL! Lots of neat stuff, Kim..now how will you display those billard balls? MM

Paulette said...

Ooooh, I love love love the billiard balls!! Those would look awesome in a huge apothecary jar.. just because! :)

Paulette

Lizzie said...

Ahhhh, collections. I love them. And I totally agree about HGTV's new (crapy lets buy a house shows) I loved the design shows. anyway, my collection is of local yard sticks. Local only, the ones I collect are of places I have known or seen. I probably have about 30 of them and I am always on the lookout. Someday when I have lots I will start making things wonderful, like mirror frames. A friend has a collection of metal old trivets. she is an artist and has then hanging around the top of the walls in a few rooms. They are like a border to the room and they are wonderful!