Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Making Some Do & Making Some Headway

So here we are in the middle of the week! Hooray for Wednesday!! This weekend I got a wild hair and decided I wanted to prep for an applique project....

So I pulled this off the shelf....



and admired the project. Went to reach for freezer paper, and EEEEK! None to be found!! Not to be deterred, I was certain I had a sheet of template plastic SOMEWHERE. I searched high and low and complained and whined for days...telling myself I WOULD go to the store and pick up either freezer paper or template plastic or BOTH!

Well this evening on the drive home...I drove right past the store...not feeling the least bit interested in parking the Santa Fe and walking thru the aisles of a grocery store for freezer paper...drove past a quilt shop too, again, not feeling the idea of actually going anywhere but home. Tomorrow. I told myself I would get those items tomorrow and work on templates then.

Got home...got comfy....and then it hit me. Good GRIEF! Did our grandmothers and our great grandmothers hold off on projects until they had freezer paper or template plastic? Laughable! Of course they didn't! They made DO! So I was hellbent...I was making do.

Now what, if you love quilts and all things vintage-sewing, is a wonderful find at a garage sale or an estate sale? Why...a box....with patterns and quilt templates stored away! And what were these made out of usually?



Thank you half-full completely-stale Fruit Loops! I have a template! Pat me on the back for being so frooty-green and making do! ;o)

Do you recognize the template....yes...it's true. I have fallen off the deep end and am planning to begin prepping blocks for this....



but all scrappy! No rhyme or reason to colors....just lots of good ones! ;o) Now don't hold your breath for 291 basket blocks in the near future! And I'm not even sure I will be doing 291! That's allotta baskets! But we'll see. I think they'll be fun...portable....and quick! Wanna join me? What a great way to practice your needleturn applique! C'mon! It'll be fun!

After my "A-Ha!" moment of making do and making templates....I decided to TRY to make some headway....

on Ann Rayner....



I surely did stitch for a while, though you really can't tell---now can you? Hmph! More headway is needed! But I've now tucked her away...and I'm going to work on some laundry. And then...in true multi-tasking fashion...I'm going to work on that second sock! I'm just about ready to start the toe decrease and then I will have a PAIR! So excited! Now if I can only remember how to graft the toe! :o/

Hope your week's been great!

*Peace!

13 comments:

Cari said...

You make me smile as I read your blog. I've been there, and done that. And yes, we CAN make do when necessary!! Your quilt will be so much fun. You can do it 291 times or 20. Your choice girl. Have fun!!!

ps. still working on 2nd sock..but then there's always a sock WIP in my basket. Pics soon.

Ann's blog said...

Oh you make me smile as well Kim! Enjoy your baskets, can't wait to see some photos. Have a great weekend! Ann ~ Australia

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

You go, girl! What a great idea AND your template is really cute, too! I love the basket quilt. I sold baskets for years, have a ton, still love them and I'll really enjoy watching this beauty come together. 291!? Ugh!
Your Ann is so beautiful, she's coming along nicely!

Kathie said...

I love my basket blocks
I need to make a few more this week!
I made the template all one piece
makes it easier for me !
good for you not giving up and starting, can't wait to see your blocks
I am doing mine random too
and my backgrounds are much scrappier than they did
Kathie

Raggedy Angel said...

I have made patterns from everything too!
This is a very late Thank you ....I love my sewing pouch...I posted it on my blog! Beth

Margaret said...

Brilliant! lol! I can't wait to see some of your baskets! I definitely want to make some as well, but of course starting a new xs project was just easier. I think at the moment I need easy. :D It's been a crazy few weeks around here and I want to get back to the old routine -- which I haven't been able to do yet! Besides, I have to wait to see what fabrics you choose in case I hate what I've chosen. lol! Ann looks great, btw. I can definitely see that you've made progress!

Cari said...

You are too funny and how creative of you to 'make do' -the template looks great.

You never cease to amaze me with the tasks you take on - 291 baskets, oh my! That just sounds like torture to me. I have heard the word applique, but have no idea what it entails - I'll have to look it up.

Anne is so pretty - thanks for updating us on your progress.

Deb said...

Kim - your post is cracking me up! I can't tell you how many times I've been fired up about something, but didn't feel like stopping at the store and getting what I needed! But you're right, you have to make due. When I first started quilting, we didn't have the plastic templates, nor was freezer paper used. We cut up cardboard boxes or cardboard that came home with men's shirts from the dry cleaners!

That quilt is awesome. I really can't wait to see you start on this. Scappy quilts are just the best quilts - you get to use up stash!

And Anne is looking wonderful too. You're making great progress and that's going to be a wonderful sampler when finished!

Stina said...

Thank goodness for lightbulb moments..;o)))
Good luck with your baskets... and I love the X stitch... Anne Rymer you said.. have to go looking for it.. it was so lovely!! :o)

Stina said...

Ann Ryner.. sorry :o)

Jennifer said...

oh girl! I'm tired after reading this.....you are a busy woman!!

But I love your template idea, so crafty!

Your stitching project looks wonderful! Great progress!

Jennifer
http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com/

Katrina said...

Very fun, glad you figured out a way to work on your quilt. I can't wait to see the quilt as it progresses.

Love your Ann Rayner too!

Lelia said...

Lovely sampler -- & those baskets are charming. Would make an awesome scrap quilt. idk, blocks without freezer paper? We are so spoiled!