Tuesday, September 01, 2009

All Aflutter...

Here we are...almost mid-week! On the verge of another long weekend!! I can't wait!

I had a very pleasant weekend last weekend..yes, another long one. I had grand plans for so many things...but found myself pretty much aflutter...flitting from one thing to another. I did feather the nest a bit by hanging some new pictures, rearranging some things etc. I always have so much fun doing that!!

On the creative front...I seemed to really be flitting around. I had hoped to have a finished second sock, but I lost my dpn down the side of the hermetically sealed sofa...ne'er to be seen again. I need to hit up the yarn shop for another set! So the knitting was cast aside.

So I did spend a little bit of time down in the sewing studio....working on these...



and turning them in to these.....



and adding them to this pile......



Thangles are the most boring thing to work on, but the results are worth it....especially since the quilt I'm working on has about a gazillion half square triangles! This was the easiest, most efficient way to get those done! And I really want to get them done! So this week, I've been cutting Thangles apart...preparing for an evening of paper ripping, which should be in my future soon!

I need to get it done, because I made the mistake (or not) of unbundling several Moda fat quarter collections and put them neatly together in this great box Jerry found for me (yes...thrifting)....



That's two different Brannock & Patek collections mixed in with the new Alliance collection from Moda. I couldn't bear to take apart the Beach House collection from the Blackbird Designs gals...those will remain together, but the other three collections melded just fine together! I'm not really a 'make a quilt from this one particular line' kinda gal. So it did my heart good to mix these three up and imagine the possibilities! And the other bundle...well...that's a fabulous bundles of super soft and yummy textured wovens I got from my pal Twyla at Quilted Memories in Brandon! I don't know what I'm going to do with those yet, but they were right up my alley...wovens....drab...LOVE!

So I'm already going thru the catalog of fat quarter quilts stored in my mind and planning the next quilt! And that goes against everything in my being...I am but a one piecer quilt at a time! So I must concentrate on Thangles this week and possibly dedicate most of the weekend to this quilt!

This evening, however, after winding every single bobbin in my sewing table drawers...I picked up Ann for a bit...



How do you deal with multiple projects? Are you aflutter as well? Or do you just go with the flow and work on whatever and hope that some day things actually are to a point of completion!? Imagine what I'll be like once I start my rug hooking adventures! EEEEEK!

*Peace!

13 comments:

Bronny said...

Oh dear Kim, So much crafting, so little week to complete is ALL in. Why does work and life interfere with our valuable crafting time??? I'm an x-stitcher first, but I've got several quilts in my brain waiting to land on the fabric - if only I knew how to divide my time...so much is calling to me now - including the Christmas Stitching!
How do you find the time??

Erin in MI said...

I've decided that it's not the end product that concerns me so much as the journey. I enjoy the process of creating so much more than the final product - that way I have the permission to flit from one thing to another, as I'm following what my muse wants to do and we're both happy! Don't feel guilty - there's enough in life that will do that to you!

Margaret said...

I think I need me some thangles. You'll have to tell me where they come from. :D I bet it would help with my accuracy. Bummer on the DPN! Ack! Wouldn't it be nice if sets came with an extra just in case? Ann looks so pretty! I love how you photographed her. :D And all those fabrics in that case! Argh!!!!!! I love it! Yummy!

MJinMichigan said...

I tried years ago to limit myself to one project at a time and it just didn't work. So now I have many WISP and pick them up according to my mood. I figure they will eventually get finished and I want to enjoy the process.
I was interested to see that you are stitching the Ann Rayner with a hoop. I never use a hoop with linen. I'm sure I read not to somewhere years ago when I started x-stitching. I'm so accustomed to working without one now I'm sure I couldn't change.

Cari said...

Rug Hooking - that's something I need to add to my list - I would love to learn how to do that.

Your thrifty box is great - I just love it!

The stressing over undone projects comes in spurts - there is that occassional stress period where I feel I need to get it all done and get a little frantic but mostly I just go with the flow and enjoy.

Jan said...

Kimmie, I think you have a plan and will produce, unlike...ahmmm...me getting things done! I love that case, hubby got you, it is gorgeous, especially with all of those lovely fabrics in it!

And I do so agree with Erin's analogy, 'it is the journey, that brings the joy'!

Your Ann is lookin mah-ve-lous!!

Deb said...

Oh Kim, I'm all a flutter with my projects too. There are just so many things that you want to do - you almost need four heads and eight arms. Those Thangles are the greatest invention aren't they? I remember trying to do those half square triangles (I had almost 900 of them for a quilt before the Thangles came out - UGH. A lot of ruler and pencil time. Love all the fabrics in the box. It's making my skin itch for want to start sewing!!

Cari said...

You know Kim I just sort of go with the flow on my projects. I was sitting on the sofa the other day, looked around and counted 7, yes 7 different projects. That's just in my family room. Who cares what gets done and what doesn't? I love everything I work on!! Have a great week doing what YOU love!!

Tolentreasures said...

It would be embarrassing for me to count the UFO's that I have laying around...I would take an educated guess...at least 50! I like starting things and finishing things but sometimes get hung up on the in between process. Enjoy it and let the stress at work where you HAVE to finish projects.

Cathy

Siobhan said...

Oh dang. Look at that box full of luscious fabrics. Dang. I don't know how you can move away from gazing at the colors. Phew. I need to go fan myself.

Your Ann is AMAZING--I love the colors on it! Love all that red.

How do I handle multiple projects... good question. I can't handle a set rotation for too long so I just kind of pick up what I want to get finished first. Then when that gets on my nerves, I bundle it away and move onto the next thing. I also spend a lot of time in the car waiting on the rugrats, so I try to have a stitching project that just requires fill in or a lot of one color so I don't need to consult a chart often.

Katrina said...

Love your box with the fat quarters, what a great find :-).
Your Ann Clayton is so pretty too.

Have a nice long weekend, I am hoping to get lots of stitching done.

Paulette said...

Ann is looking gorgeous!! Goodness, I'm going to be SO ENVIOUS when you're finished with her!!!

Me? A-flutter? HA!! (LOL) I don't really flip-flop back and forth bw projects very well.. I like to stick with one thing, but I do have a tendency to have MANY things started... so I guess I start lots of things, and then pick one to work on til the end. That makes no sense, but there it is.

And how come Jerry can't fine ME a cool box like that?? I love it!!

Karen said...

Love your box of stash.