Sunday, September 13, 2009

448 Half Square Triangles Later....

and we have completion!



Thangles certainly made easier work of the half square triangles!



I'm so pleased with the way this turned out....



Just as I envisioned! I spied an antique quilt in a book, and that was my inspiration.



I think the black print really adds to the vintage look I was going for!



The week was a short one, but one wouldn't know it! Seemed to drag on! But I did do a little thrifting. I'm really lovin' the hunt! So much so that I think I may start a 'Thrifty Thursday' post to show finds for the week! I don't want to bore you every other day with the latest piece of orphaned pottery...so once a week I'll share!

I don't think I ever showed this great framed bird print I scored for three bucks. I love the aged look it has....that black..and green...and the birds.



Yes sir I love the hunt AND the find! ;o) A dear friend of mine---Blogless Kimm (Hi Kimm!) and I are going to head down to Omaha in a few weeks. So excited...we're meeting up with Paulette and having a great girls day! In search of treasure we shall be!

Now Paulette and I have been great friends for...oh....at least 4 years. We've shared tears...laughs....LOTS of laughs....chatted on the phone...and have taken FULL advantage of internet communication, as well as Blackberry IMing...but we have NEVER ... EVER met face to face! Can you believe that? And we only live 3 hours away! Seems like when she would be up here for a cheer comp, I'd be out of town...it just never worked out! So I'm excited for the trip to Omaha! And I'm sure it will provide plenty of blog fodder! LOL Always good to have something to look forward to!

This evening I went down and prepped the next quilt.....yes....another one...so soon...



This one will be quick...simple....letting the fabrics speak...I'm using those wonderfully textural wovens I picked up a while back from my pal, Twyla!



Quick is good...because look what else I got this week! Yummy wool from Alice!!



I've got a plan for this! A hooker I shall be!!! Woooohooo! So I want to get this wovens quilt done so I can toss a rug pattern on the frame that's been patiently waiting and start my hooking journey!

So many fiber arts....so little time! I hope you've had a great weekend! I'm going to curl up with Ann for a bit and stitch and enjoy the rest of the evening!

*Peace!

17 comments:

Bronny said...

The quilt looks great. I have a question - what are 'thangles'?
I'm a cross-stitcher and a novice quilter - sounds like an interesting terminology. I'm feeling a tad inspired to open up a jelly roll that I won last December - lots of little triangles seem to be one way to use it up.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim . . . you are a kindred spirit!! Stitching, quilts, thrifting and now hooking. I've long wanted to give it a try, perhaps you will inspire me again!!

Wanda

Cari said...

Oh Kim your quilt is FABULOUS!! I love the design and the colors you selected. And, yes, the background really makes it!! Congratulations. Have a great week. Can't wait to hear / see your Omaha get-together with Paulette. Have FUN!!

Jackie said...

Your triangles and the quilt look fantastic. I've never tried the Thangles. I'd like to do wool rug hooking one day too. I just need to find the time....

Margaret said...

Wow! I love your quilt!!! Of course. :D And your next one looks tantalizing too! That's so funny that you and Paulette have never met face to face. I sort of figured you probably had. I look forward to a full report! And rug hooking -- you have to report on that too!

Cari said...

I love your quilt and it definitely has that vintage look to it - beautiful work!

Thrifty Thursday, I love it. Something new to look forward to as you always discover wonderful pieces.

I also look forward to your rug hooking as it is on my 'to learn' list.

Well, I am off to work...

Enjoy your week.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

You are a quilting 'machine'!!! The new one really has a vintage look to it ~ great job!! You amaze me with how much you get done! And thank you for displaying those blue wools so nicely ~ can't wait to see them hooked!! Omaha sounds far ~ it must not be from where you are?

Littlebit said...

Beautiful quilt, Kim! I tried the Thangles years ago and remember it was so much easier with those flying geese. I'll need a refresher! I hope you're planning your trip for a later part of the week so I can visit too! MM

Linda said...

The quilt looks awesome! Great colors. Your trip to Omaha sounds fun....Paulette's blog is great. If you make it one more hour down the road let me know. Linda, thepinkeep.blogspot.com

MJinMichigan said...

Kim, I love the way your quilt turned out. I have a small piece of the black print you used for setting the blocks and would never have thought to use it that way. It looks great and definitely vintage.

Loraine said...

What a great quilt! I love the antique feel of it. Have fun with your rail quilt too. I made one of those a few years ago, and it was a wonderful way to spend a few hours.
Have a great time with your friends. What a great story about your friend that you've met on the internet. I have a few of those, and I'm really excited to meet them someday.
Take Care!

Deb said...

Kim - I just love this quilt. You certainly got the look you wanted with those fabrics! I love, love it (and you're making the itch to quilt stronger and stronger). I love those Thangles! Best thing (almost) that they've come up for quilting!!

I can't wait to see your rug hooking adventure. That's something I've always wanted to try!

And have fun with Paulette! I bet you'll have a great time.

Tracy said...

I am SOOOO JEALOUS!!!! You will LOVE Paulette. And hate her. Cause she is just about the cutest thing that has ever lived. I wish I could crash your party!
Tracy who is feeling very whiny...

ranette said...

Wonderful use of 448 half square triangles!!! I love this quilt and I agree the black print does add to the vintage look.

Melissa said...

Kim-I love that quilt! You kill me,448 triangles and you have a quilt in no time. I'd still be sitting there thinking and I have to cut out how many triangles, how many points do I have to attempt not to chop off....that black print is perfect too.

Have fun with the wool, you crossing over to rug hooking?

Cathy said...

I love this quilt, just fabulous, must have taken a while to cut up though. Great colours xo

alobsiger said...

Your top is GORGEOUS, Kim! Looks great! I look forward to following your hooking journey. I have been a wannabe rug hooker for about 15 years. ::sigh::