Monday, July 27, 2009

Lessons.......

A lesson learned....

There are lots of very very nice people out in blogland! I was just tickled, recently, when Mary Jo in Michigan emailed me to say that she had found my blog and was reading back posts. You may remember this post , wherein I asked if anyone had a clue to the name of the lovely applique quilt pictured. I had admired that quilt at the Minnesota quilt show many many years ago, and had the pic posted on the wall beside my sewing machine...still admiring it!

Well....Mary Jo was so kind to email me and let me know that the name of the pattern was Stars & Vines and that it was a block of the month, put out by Village Classics, and she even supplied the phone # off the pattern! THANK YOU, Mary Jo! As she knows, the number was no longer a working number. I thought I was just out of luck and would have to search and hunt online for these patterns and hope for the best...since they are quite old.

Wellllllllll....imagine my surprise recently when I searched 'stars vines applique' on eBay and UP pops and AUCTION with that same QUILT....each and every pattern for this block of the month...KITTED even! I stalked the auction....staying up late one night to get the last bid in and Walaaaaah!



I got it! For less than $60...kitted even! It arrived today! I couldn't be more excited! Granted, there are some fabrics in there that I will most likely swap out (i.e. baby blue will definitely be swapped for a medium or darker blue...or a great civil war soldier or cadet blue...no baby blue for me!)....but still...what are the odds? Seriously! THANK YOU so VERY much, Mary Jo....for finding my blog, for being interested enough to read old posts, and for taking the time to let me know about this quilt! Lesson learned----it always pays to mention something you might be looking for or wondering about, because there are very nice, gracious people out in blogland that will respond! :o)

And a Lesson Completed...

I completed my 'homework' from sock knitting class tonight....



Yessirreeeeee......6" total knitted and ready for the next class, where I learn heel flaps! Oooooh exciting! I may decide to be an overachiever and go ahead and cast on the other sock...I mean, heck, I have two weeks until the next class! May as well huh? Then I'll be apt to have a PAIR of socks in pretty quick time!

Thanks so much for the comments and emails. I really do appreciate each and every one!

Yes, Alice, I WILL be a hooker...soon...THIS YEAR! It's another goal! Never mind that it took quite a few years of amassing sock yarn before I actually bit the bullet and took a class to learn how to make them...the point is that I DID it! And I have all the supplies at the ready for rug hooking, and will be putting loops in my first project very soon!!! :o)

Melody , thanks for that quick Noro scarf tutorial! I'm sure I'll be emailing you once I start it! :o)

Call me crazy...I cannot help myself! Yes...I quilt some, stitch some, knit some, will be hooking some, and I even have a needlepoint project tucked away...so I needlepoint some. I am besotted by the fiber arts! I shall never EVER be bored! What could be better, I ask? :o)

*Peace!

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the knitting. I took a class for beginners back in January and got stuck and put it down. I want to get someone to help me straighten it out and try my hand at it again.
The colors are beautiful!
Jennifer
http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

Tolentreasures said...

Wow, your socks are PERFECT! I love that yarn, makes me want to go and grab the two pair that I have started..but first I am onto one of YOUR projects! I bought fabirc for a quilt...well two quilts to make for my grandsons' room. No pattern I am going to wing them....we'll see how that goes. I see how fast you whip those tops together so I thought, why not?

Cathy

Margaret said...

Wow! How cool is that -- talk about serendipity that you got that ebay auction! And the sock -- looking good! So you'll be hooking soon too, huh? Can you teach me that too? lol!

Cari said...

Oh my gosh Kim....welcome to my world: counted cross stitch, embroidery, knitting (love, love, love socks), rug hooking, locker rug hooking, needlepoint...did I say anything with fiber.. spinning, .... Oh if I could only live to be 100!

Kim said...

Hey there happy knitter! Have you gone and lost your mind? ROFLOL, that quilt pattern is mighty ambitious...alas it is a beauty and I can see why you are taking it on.

Seriously, the knitting is looking just great and no easy feat, ha ha. I know, I'm full of beans this evening. Enjoy your new found treasures and talents. :o)

MJinMichigan said...

I'm glad I could help although as it turned out, you found the kit on your own. I hope you get yours made faster than I have mine. The monthly kits are still in their bags but I have the templates made.
Knitting socks is very tempting but I'm trying to resist. There are SO many quilts and samplers that I want to make.

Siobhan said...

Woohoo!! I love it when things come together like that. Congrats on winning the auction! Love the socks!

Littlebit said...

Kim, cracking up about you saying you're going to be a hooker! I've not graduated past making scarves, but my heart remains in quilting and stitching anyway. WTG with getting that quilt kit! MM

Cathy said...

Aren't bloggers wonderful, how lucky to find that pattern/kit after wanting it for so long. Your socks are looking great too I love the colours you have used. xo

Melissa said...

Kim what a great story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the sock knitting. I'm still trying to get the feel for the double points and I say cast on that second sock now!

I love multicrafting. Don't get me wrong, cross stitch is my passion but it's nice to dip your toes into something different every so often. It's easy to forget just how creative other mediums are and well it's also an excuse to collect more stuff. LOL....

Rebecca's Tea House said...

Great socks! I'm crazy about anything 'fiber' as well! A friend of mine gave me all of her rug hooking supplies and I have it ready to go. Even subscribe to Rug Hooking magazine. I also took a weaving class last Fall and I loved that too! Now where will I put that loom...............

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Kim ~ I love your sock!! And that's something I would like to do is to knit socks ~ I love handmade woolie socks ~ I could have even more if I knit my own, right?! You're quite a busy gal ~ does your husband think you're crazy??