Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday & The Framer

So...I have the day off today. YAY!! Decided it was time to get some things marked off my 'to do' list, and "Take some samplers to framer" was one of the items that's been languishing on my list for a long time.

I brought down some samplers from the closet shelf....and chose four to take to the framer....



Yeah I know...that's only three....can't find a pic of the "Our Daily Bread" I stitched back in 2005! YIKES!

So off I go with samplers in hand to the framer. Let me say I LOVE my framer. She does an EXCELLENT job and has the most exquisite moldings...cha-ching! But she always seems to have a good sale going (i.e. 50% off the exquisite moldings), so I tell myself it evens it all out. Anyhoooo...love her! She does excellent work.

I haven't been in for quite a very long time....a couple years! But once I unrolled my samplers, she remembered. I went about my business picking moldings...and she marveled at the samplers, asking if I just travel around and look for old sampler patterns or what because she has seen old samplers in the DAR museum and they always say the patterns are for sale, etc. I explained that I have quite the stash of charts and that the internet is an evil enabler for the sampler lover! She laughed. She kept looking at the samplers and said "Did you stitch ALL of these? And the ones I did before?" (she is the one responsible for all the framing on my sampler wall). I say yes. She looks up and looks at me and says "ALL of THEM? You stitched ALL of them?" and I say yes...and I have more to do! She asks incredulously what I do with all of them. I explained the sampler wall...she is amazed. She figures up each framing estimate.....we discuss her gracious layaway plan of 1/3 down....etc etc....idle chit-chat...she gives me the total...which is much much easier to swallow in 1/3 increments even though it's still a HUGE chunk (did I mention I have caviar taste in moldings?) of cha-ching. I write out the check....

She again admires the samplers and THEN she asks "Does your husband think you're CRAZY?"

I chuckled...nervously.....handed her the check.....we won't go there!

*Peace!

12 comments:

Littlebit said...

I cringe when I think what Paulette and I have spent on framing in the past. Then my sweet DH took a framing class. While it's not always inexpensive making your own, it's nice not to have to wait too long for a finished frame. Can't wait to see them all framed! MM

Margaret said...

Oh I love it when framing day comes around! :D Can't wait to see them all done! I can't believe you've done Mary Corey too -- that's another A&E I want to do! As for Marsha -- lucky lucky to have a husband who frames. Sigh....

Kim said...

Isn't LIFE just one big old cha-ching? A girl's gotta live and no doubt your sweet hubby loves you for your crazy creative side...as should that filthy rich framer!!! She's gonna start sending you sampler kits to keep you busy and her in business. :)

Cari said...

Beautiful, beautiful work Kim. People who don't stitch don't get it do they?? But...you gotta love 'em. Crazy...you bet!!! Can't wait to see your pieces framed.

Jan said...

LOL Of course he thinks you are crazy, but that is masked in his undying love for you!:)

Oh I can't wait to see, how soon did she say they would be ready for pick up? I have NO patience, no patience at all!!

Just lovely, all of them, Kimmie!

Deb said...

Ha, your post made me laugh Kim - especially the part where the framer asks if your husband thinks your crazy. I've never had a framer ask me that, but my husband does think that I'm crazy for doing this and for quilting (why cut up perfectly good fabric into pieces and then sew it together again - what is the point of all that?) LOL

Anyway, love the three (need a picture of four), that you took in. You have to take advantage of those sales when you can.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Ooooh, Kim! I know what you mean - I seem to have the champagne taste in frames also. I can't help myself.... if I'm going to look at it for years, I want it to look good! They paying part only hurts for a little while but looking at an ugly frame lasts a lifetime!

Can't wait to see the unveiling!

Jeanne - WillowTreeStitcher said...

My framing stack is getting larger lately...I am anxious to take some of them in too but it sure gets expensive and I'm picky. I am contemplating doing some of my own needlework mounting and having them just do the framing part. Can't wait to see yours when you get them back. (and my husband thinks I'm crazy too)

Tolentreasures said...

Great samplers, can't wait to see the finished project, your post made me laugh! My husband KNOWS I am crazy and I think he embraces it and loves it...most of the time.

Cathy

Siobhan said...

Ah, I love framing days!! :) I can't WAIT to see what everything looks like when you get it back! The cost... ack. A necessary evil, though--at least, that's what I keep telling myself!

Cathy said...

Ha ha, I agree, the internet is a HUGE enabler!!! You do have amazing work there I'm not suprised that she was amazed. they will look wonderful framed. xo

Cari said...

What a funny conversation with your framer. I can't wait to see them framed - I too love moulding and it never fails that I choose the most expensive. But a piece only gets framed once, right! And Terri's said it well, the frame will last a lifetime.

After seeing your gorgeous pieces, I have started contemplaing my own A&E wall. Of couse, this will take awhile as, not only do I not have one completed, I don't own any A&E patterns (gasp).

Your pig is great! The only name that comes to mind is Arnold :-)
(from Green Acres)

Enjoy your week!

Cari