Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Dealing With My Excesses....

is a losing cause, I do believe! But from time to time I take stock...and shake my head at my excessive habits!

Look....


Nope---that's not my banner....my banner is comprised of FINISHED quilts. This picture, my friends, is the stack of TWENTY-TWO quilt tops waiting to be quilted and bound. Two-Two......ridiculous! When in the WORLD am I going to get them all done? I suppose it'll be best to just start with a few...smaller ones maybe....and get them done! I suppose a few may...MAY go off to the longarm quilter for quilting...but it gets harder and harder for me to shuck out the bucks for that! And it gets EXPENSIVE! Figure in the fact that I tend to like old looking..utilitarian quilts...and..well...the sane part of me tells myself that I could just cross-hatch quite a few of them myself on my machine. There are some LARGE ones that will probably end up at the longarmers...but I could certainly start to pare this stack down a bit. There are a couple that I've decided really just don't speak to me...and those will hopefully end up in new homes via ebay. But for the most part...I need to just dig in!

But how can I? How, I ask...when I get THIS in the mail today...


Oh yeah...yummy NPI silks....and some GASTs too......*SIGH* Excess, I know. But remember when I did a little stash enhancement? What's a girl to do when she has all those charts and doesn't really want to use DMC for all of it, AND this same girl found a very nice Ebayer that sells these great threads at a nice discounted price...well...she buys fibers! That's what this girl did anyway! I'm itching to stitch....LOTS!

I also went a little crazy with some Blackbird Designs twill stripe fabrics from Moda...purchased bolts. Love the twill stripes! So this weekend...while walking thru the sewing room..I spied the bolts postured neatly under my cutting table....excess fabric! AAACK!

So I picked five...cut a yard off each bolt....and cut 9" squares


and on Sunday I whipped together this great scrappy stripe quilt!


I had, at one time, spied a similar quilt draped across a bed in a magazine...scrappy twill stripes...and for the life of me, I could not find that dang picture! So this is from memory....but I do like it. I think it looks rather coastal! But then what else would one expect from the Blackbird Designs ladies! I love their color sense! I had thought of offering this as a kit....but it's just squares! with the stripes alternating direction. Not much to it! If you would like to make your own Coastal Stripes quilt...I'd be happy..Extremely HAPPY to share my excess of Blackbird Designs twill fabrics! I can send you one yard of each of these (5 yards for $29) and you can make your own! Call it a kit...or just call it fabric! I'm happy to pass on a great buy on the twills in order to rid myself of the excess!

Speaking of excess...........I did make another purchase....


I'm hoping THESE will help me rid myself of the excess ME! ;o)

Now tell me...WHEN am I supposed to get those quilts done?

Hope you're having a great week! And as always, thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow! I'd love to have your problem with excess quilt tops! lol! I guess I actually have a few backlogged as well -- my problem is I like hand quilting. Which takes foreverrrrrr! :D Oh, and mememememe!!! I'd love to buy a pack of your BBD twill striped fabric! Did I just say that? :D I'll email.... Good luck with the new workout shoes!

Kim said...

Looks like we've got some kind of trouble here, roflol, girl, you could be in worse trouble!! Send those quilt tops off to the quilter, put that yummy floss to a needle and enjoy. Nice sneaks ~ time to get em dirty, girl. :o)

Loraine said...

Oh man! I feel your pain, although I am keeping up with the finished quilts better than the ones that are kitted and ready to be put together!

Donate what you can to e-bay. I think that's a good plan. Good luck with the others.

Tolentreasures said...

When I read your post I could see that the solution is so easy. Buy your own long arm quilter! There, how hard is that? Just do it!

Cathy

Love to Stitch said...

I just love reading your posts, you have SOOO MUCH ENERGY!! Outstanding! Your quilts are amazing, all the colors and details. You should do craft shows! People are always looking for quilts at those places. Your thread stash is quite something you just got, I love it!! It is always fun to get another round of 'stash filler'!! Keep up all the great work!!!

Deb said...

Kim, you crack me up with your excess problems! All those quilts unquilted. I feel your pain. I've got quite a few of those around too and since I can't do them myself, they sit there because the longarm lady does charge quite a bit! Of course, you could buy your own long arm, but you practically have to build an addition onto your house for the sheer size of these. My SIL bought one and it took over her Master Bedroom! Anyway, love your stash stories. I think that your striped quilt reminds me of the east coast, a sunporch or room looking over the ocean with white wicker furniture! Love it. And love all your fiber stash too - a girl after my own heart with all that stash!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Love the pic of all your quilt tops! Your stash is gorgeous - beautiful colors! I love the striped quilt!

Hope you like your Asics; I think you will! I wanted pink ones but ended up with blue, too. They really area good shoe and I hope they help you get the results you're looking for.

Laurie in Iowa said...

I loved seeing your wonderful stack of unquilted quilt tops. Excess.... maybe.... but I could think of a whole lot of other excesses that would be much worse for your health and well being.

I'm going to help you get some of that excess fabric off your hands.... and add to the longarm quilting fund.

Hope you love your new Asics as much as I love mine.

Robin Hill Quilts said...

Quilt tops done! You are almost there! When I look at that mountain I imagine them all quilted~ Then what a stash you would have!
If you ever decide to have them quilted give me a call~I could be your long armer...
By the way have you read Winter Solstice yet by Miss Pilcher? It is my favorite one of hers~
Don't forget your problem could become my problem...LOL
Eileen G.

Jan said...

Kimmie, love the new walkers!! I need to get me some, yeah I know excuses, like I could buy more stash, but then again, I need some exercise!!

I love all of that stack, although I can certainly relate when it comes to decreasing, some I just don't like anymore! Good luck, Sweetness!!