Sunday, June 21, 2009

I Heart 3 Day Weekends....and Dads

Aaaaah....this has been the most pleasant three day weekend!!! And Father's Day weekend to boot! I seriously love 3 day weekends!! They are the best! Not sure what can top them...except maybe part-time jobs! LOL

We've had the most relaxing and yet productive weekend. I'm thankful for that, too, because there were multiple times I wanted to just break down and cry because I miss my dear dad so much. But...I didn't. It's all good.

The hubs and I ran errands together....took naps....sat around our fire pit and made s'mores....lounged outside on Saturday in the sun....watched a few movies....we had lots of together time and it was great! :o)

I even finished a book I was reading----Swim To Me. It was okay....it just ENDED though and I hate when they just END. I want things all wrapped up pretty much when I get to that last punctuation mark. But it was an okay read. I was going to start the Twilight series....since I'm sure I MUST be missing out on something fabulous...but decided instead to pick up The Jane Austen Book Club, since my friend, Paulette, was going to watch the movie the other night! I've had this book by my chair for...well...let's just say too long. So that's next on the reading list! THEN I'll dive in to the Twilight saga.

In other news....I caved in late Friday evening....the A/C is now on.....I couldn't take the unbearable humidity Friday night...it was BAD.....couple that with the occasional hot flash while I'm TRYING to sleep thru the night..and...well....yeah....the A/C is great! :o)

Today I did get some time in the sewing room.....I pulled these


and spent time with my iron and Best Press and ended up with these


and then cut and cut and cut


and ended up with these


Now...I have absolutely no idea if I have way too many strips or not enough...I just cut...I'm winging it on the log fence quilt....so we'll see how many blocks I get with what I've got cut and we'll take it from there! I'm excited to get started on the piecing!!

Also making me excited is the progress I'm slowly making on Ann Rayner! I'm laying a pic of the finished sampler beside my progress, for those inquiring minds who didn't think they had seen this one...


I'm working on some of the motifs now....so I think it will hold my interest enough to continue with her for a bit!

We grilled out steaks tonight, sat around the fire pit, and just continued the relaxed mode. A fitting end to a perfect Father's Day weekend!

I hope you all had an equally wonderful weekend!

*Peace!

10 comments:

Tolentreasures said...

Sounds as though you had a wonderful weekend...almost like the one that I would like to have had! Good for you!

Cathy

Margaret said...

Glad you had a great weekend! Oooooh, I love those fabrics -- yum! And Ann Rayner -- oh I have to get going on that one! Like all the other designs I want to stitch. lol! The Twilight series. I'll tell you that if I ever pick those books up I'm under pain of death from my daughter. lol!

Loraine said...

Sounds like an absolutely perfect weekend! Watching movies, and our fire pit, is just about the best thing ever!
Glad you found time to start your quilt. It looks like you will have enough strips. If you have too many, you could strip piece the back as well. At least a few strips down the middle would be cute! The colors are great, and it will be darling!

I'm so happy to hear you broke down and turned on the A/C! I'm all for it! When it gets to miserable to sew, then it's time, don't you think?

Your blog is a hoot to read. I enjoy it very much. Getting to know you is fun as well. Have a great week!

Jan said...

Always love it when you post, Kimmie!! I just love those fabbies, and I really love knowing you are now staying cool!!

How awesome that you had such a relaxing weekend, spent with Hubs, good quality time!!

Wow, I just love Ann Raynor, going to have to add her to my stitchey pile soon, I am thinking. Will love seeing your progress!!

Have a great week, Sweets!!

Littlebit said...

Your weekend sounded perfect, Kim! I absolutely LOVE the fabrics you cut up, and I have been tossing around the idea of the rail fence for my Civil War fabrics. Can't wait to see yours. Twilight..what can I say, especially if Siobhan is reading? LOL!! I've read them through 3 times now, and I won't embarrass myself and tell anyone how many times I've watched--well, listened to at this point--the movie. Edward loves to quilt, Darcy loves to stitch! :-) MM

Laurie in Iowa said...

Great weekend... you made me jealous! So glad the a/c got turned on and you're back to quilting and stitching in comfort.

Looking forward to seeing the progress snaps of your new quilt.

Paulette said...

Great post! :) I love the series of scrappy pictures - I can't wait to see this one! :) And I loved the Jane Austen Book Club movie! (Never read the book)

Sounds like you had an awesome weekend! You deserve it!

And I loooooooooooooooove Miss Rayner.... I'm soooooooooooooo jealous!!!

Paulette

Siobhan said...

It sounds like a great weekend, Kim! Father's Day is always bittersweet for us both... but we were blessed to have the have the fathers we had and to have the men we married be great fathers to our kids, too.

I love the quilt strips you cut! That's going to be one fabulous quilt. Your Ann is GORGEOUS!

Karoline said...

Sounds like a great weekend, love the fabrics and Ann looks lovely

Deb said...

Wow, your weekend sounds like it was absolutely wonderful. And thanks for posting that pic of Ann Rayner (I know I could have Googled it, but I'm lazy). I think that is going to be beautiful sampler when done. And you're going to have some fun with those strips. Can't wait to see what you make out of them.