Saturday, May 23, 2009

Power-less Naps and Quilt Progress

It's been a good start to a long weekend! Power outage not withstanding! This morning I was standing in the kitchen and was shaken by a huge loud BOOM..like the LOUDEST car backfire you've ever heard! And then no power. Great....oh well...off to the grocery store I went..and the post office...came back and still no power. Fired up the grill and grilled some chicken breasts and fixed a delicious salad complete with goat cheese, pecans, craisins, mandarin oranges, mixed greens, the grilled chicken breast and strawberry vinaigrette dressing. Yum! Still no power after that.

Well what's a girl to do when she's all ready to quilt but cannot spend quality time with the Bernina? Take a leisurely nap of course! And that's just what I did! And walaaaah...by the time I got up power had been restored. :o)

I did get to spend some time with the Bernina this evening and have the 'guts' of the Neptune quilt done...

I loved this Moda line when I saw it..had to have it.....made this from one jelly roll. I'm hoping I'm going to be able to find yardage of the print I want for the border! This is kind of a departure for me...in that it's almost to the point of pastel...and there's PINK in there! ICK! I do not do pastel nor pink.....so this was a calming departure for me. But don't look for many more in this palette from me! ;o) I need funky COLOR!!!

I've got a pile of fabrics by the ironing board waiting to be readied for cutting.....a super easy and casual summer quilt that has plaids and jumbo ric rac is next up!! And then after that..I think I'll be ready to settle down with something that has a little more substance and not so super simple. Maybe. With the full-time job...seems that super simple has been my forte' lately, mostly so I can see finished quilt tops! But sometimes I just get this log-jam of quilts in my head....and since they're relatively easy, well, I just figure I may as well whip them out and THEN concentrate on something a little more difficult. And as a rule, I *NEVER* have more than one quilt cut and in piecing progress at a time. I just like working on one at a time. So it's been simple piecing lately.

Since I've had that lovely nap this afternoon, I'm not really ready for bedtime...so I'll pick up my needle and get to work on the BBD piece! Hopefully will see a finish soon! I'm almost done with part 4..and no I decided against flipping part 4 and part 5, but rather will stick with my original plan to enhance it a bit to make it blend more readily.

Thanks for the compliments on my sampler wall! The Adam & Eve pieces brought a lot of questions....the long narrow one to the left is my Readers Digest Shortened & Condensed version of Threads of Gold's DHS 1800 sampler. And the smaller Adam & Eve piece is Sarah Siefer by The Goode Huswife. I love A&E samplers!! You hear me Paulette..... ;o)

Hope your Saturday was power-filled and fun!!

*Peace!

4 comments:

Tolentreasures said...

I like the quilt, but I like pink...there is nothing wrong with pink, embrace it!

Glad that you got a good nap with the power outage,

Cathy

Margaret said...

Ugh, I hate power outages! So was that loud boom thunder??? I love that Neptune fabric too. Sigh. I think Tula Pink's colors are wonderful -- but yes, they're definitely different from your usual palette. Can't wait to see more of the BBD mystery. and more quilts! Nice quilt top there! And thanks again for the lovely scraps!! I just looooove them!!!! (Hope you got my email about them.....)

Deb said...

I like the quilt Kim even with the pink - although I'm like you, don't do pink - but occasionally it's good to go outside of our boxes, right! Aren't naps the greatest. Give us more energy for stitching until the wee hours!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Nothing better than a guilt free nap! I love the quilt, Kim and I think the dark navy balances it nicely.