Monday, December 24, 2007

Twas the night before Christmas....



and you know the rest of that one! Hope you and your family are tucked in somewhere warm and ready to nestle in and celebrate the birth of Jesus. I have been reminding myself to keep that in the forefront this year.

It's certainly sad that I don't have Dad around this year....he was such a Christmas nut....and my older two kids are not here in SD either....Ashley is in Ohio and Brennan is partying in Mexico. So it's the hubby, Jake and I. And it's...well...frankly...it's quite odd!

I think Jake pretty much knows what he's getting...so really no surprises....and he's 13, so he knows there's not really a Santa....and so it's just kind of weird!!!! The tree isn't completely inundated with gifts under it, as in years past. Again---see above---two kids missing. ha! My family does not live nearby....they're in Texas, Kentucky and Ohio.....so that whole empty nest thing is really hitting home this year.

This has all kind of caught me off-guard it seems! This whole settling down of the Christmas hub-bub. Odd....very very odd. How does one cope?

But we shall persevere! We're still having our traditional Christmas Eve oyster stew....as a side with steaks and shrimp tonight...tomorrow is prime rib and relaxation! And it's back to work on Wednesday.

If you are lucky enough to have your big happy family around you, enjoy and celebrate! Merry Christmas to everyone!

2 comments:

Karoline said...

Happy Christmas Kim

Jeanne said...

Hope you had a merry Christmas even though missing some of your loved ones. My grandmother and mother always made oyster stew for Christmas Eve as well - I never ran into anyone else who did until reading your blog tonite. I have not carried on the tradition though as I don't like oysters!