Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Little Purge....

is in order in the sewing studio, I do believe. I've decided to pull fabrics for several quilts.....go through and pull fabrics that don't necessarily appeal to me and put them on ebay...and continually sift, sort and purge until I feel good about the fabric stash situation. Of course, this does not mean that I will rid myself of the fabric stash......there are some fabrics that you just canNOT get rid of...whether you see a use in the near or distant future for them or not...you LOVE these fabrics and will NOT part with them for anything because SOMEDAY....you will use that fabric in a fantabulous quilt!

I think that a big reason for this guilt over the fabric stash lately, is that all I want to do is knit.....knit knit knit...crochet crochet crochet....all things YARN!!! And then the rug hooking is sitting there calling me too...and my newest needlepoint acquisitions are singing to me too!!! And so quilting is taking a backseat for now. Is this a BAD thing? Is quilting over for me? No...I don't think so...but I don't feel the need to have so much fabric anymore......besides the fact that nowadays there are so many WONDERFUL quilts that you can get already kitted up! I used to think that was cheating...buying a quilt kitted up....but so many of them today are fabrics that I would have pulled myself....so..justification achieved. HA! Another reason it would be okay to really filter the fabric stash......not to mention that tastes change and I'm not so into that dark muddy look anymore.....things have brightened a bit in the studio (think Kaffe)....and so now I have all of these primitive type fabrics to deal with. So the way I'm going to "deal" is to offer them up on ebay to the next lucky quilter looking for some fabulous older prints. I have one gal over in Australia that LOVES to buy my stash! LOL Hopefully she's watching my auctions now!!! And yet ANOTHER justification for moving out the stash....if not all of it, a big part of it...there are ALWAYS new and wonderful fabrics on the shelf in the quilt shops...and how fun would it be to have a pattern in mind and go in and get NEW fabrics for the quilt?? Yes...that is the best justification of all. Why...just the thought of that makes me want to go down and purge some more!!!!

Any other suggestions for ridding myself of fabric guilt....or other ways to reduce the stash? Feel free to leave a comment!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Sometimes it nice to clean out a bit :-). I don't have any good suggestions, I have a terrible time letting go of stitching stuff. Everything else is fair game though LOL.

Lavender Rose said...

Kim, Are you nuts!!?? You know you'll find a need for that odd, very odd piece of quilting fabric in some strange project!!! I have such a hard time sorting and sifting through my fabric stash. I always feel like it's abandoning one of my babies!! :[
Maybe I need fabric counselling...
Hugs,
Your crafty friend,
Deb

Jeanne said...

I can sympathize totally - I have a major case of fabric guilt! I have more than 10 yrs of quilt fabric purchases sitting......and sitting..... I am too obsessed with stitching to do much quilting anymore. Now I feel guilt about all those purchases I simply couldn't live without! I don't even like all of my fabric as much as I used to. I'm hoping to get my 'quilting mojo' back one of these days.